• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally done it!!

kyoto49

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

I've used this forum alot for advice, but have finally found time to join :)

I keep mini rex, currently we have a Smoke Pearl buck, a blue self buck (neutered) and a young havana doe. I feel very strongly about caged rabbit so keep most of mine in a large 6 foot 2 tier hutch that has a 16 foot run attached that they have permanant access to. I'm also a massive fan of keeping rabbits in social groups which I have quite a lot of experience with so may be able to help others who are thinking of or are doing this.

Until recently I had 1 neutered mini rex male in with 5 females from 3 generations of breeding, but I learnt a very very traumatic myximatosis lesson and only the young blue self male I still have survived. Needless to say, no rabbit of mine will ever go unvaccinated again! So, our blue self has found himself with a young Havana rex female to keep him company in his massive hutch/run, and they are getting on pretty well so far. I was truly devastated to lose my other rex' as they had such a wonderful group dynamic. The grandma & grandpa were so gentle with any babies their daughters had it was wonderful to see.

Our smoke pearl buck is our stud boy and has a personality to die for, loves everyone and everything and very very happy go lucky, a personality he passes on to his babies. I only breed one litter a year, and all my babies so far have gone to family and friends, and only those who pass my homing inquisition. if the hutch is less than 5 foot with a permanant run, then my babies don't get homed with them!!!

Alongside the rabbits we own a complete nutter of a rescue dog, brought over from a bad situation in Spain. He's a Podenco/Greyhound cross and has bags of personality............and energy :)

Cheers

Hello! :wave: Sorry to hear of your losses, it's an awful disease. Yes I have witnessed older generations being very caring to babies as well. It is wonderful to see.

Welcome to the forum :D

I'm sorry to hear about your myxi losses, it's a terrible illness. That sounds a lovely big run! What are your bunnies names?

Welcome to the forum :D

I'm sorry to hear about your myxi losses, it's a terrible illness. That sounds a lovely big run! What are your bunnies names?

Hiya

The ones we lost were called Fabio, Fiver, Flora, Fern & Hazel Fiver was Fifty's daughter :)

The ones we have left are Fifty (stud, he's fifty shades of grey and sex mad!!), Fender and Finch

I like names beginning with F, dunno why but I'm struggling with female names starting with F at the moment., so welcome suggestions!

I do like my rabbits to have a big run, just feel more comfortable knowing they can run and play and keep fit. The run seems extra large now as we have gone from having 6 rabbits in to only 2 :(

Back