Thread: Sore hock - how much time should the bandage be kept on?

Default Sore hock - how much time should the bandage be kept on?

My bunny has a sore hock and today, the vet, after cleaning it, put a bandage on it and said to keep it there 2 days, then he recommended an ointment for 2 weeks. I'm curious about other such experiences, how much time did you keep the bandage? And did you reapply it from time to time? I think it's not ok to just let it there for long periods of time, since the skin doesn't get air, but the area should also be as protected as possible.
    My beloved tiny souls:
    3 Guinea Pigs: Zuzu, Belle and their daughter, Mel
    1 rabbit: Timi

I would not want to leave the bandage on for 2 days without checking the hock. If I have to use bandaging for a Rabbit with sore hocks I change it at least once a day, more if the bandage becomes soiled/wet.

Sore hocks are often a secondary symptom of a mobility problem. Has your Vet looked into what is actually causing the hocks to become sore in the first place? Has an anti-inflammatory analgesic been prescribed ? Sore hocks are, well, sore !

I hope that your Rabbit will feel more comfortable soon xx

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Default sore hocks

Quote Originally Posted by TeodoraP View Post
    My bunny has a sore hock and today, the vet, after cleaning it, put a bandage on it and said to keep it there 2 days, then he recommended an ointment for 2 weeks. I'm curious about other such experiences, how much time did you keep the bandage? And did you reapply it from time to time? I think it's not ok to just let it there for long periods of time, since the skin doesn't get air, but the area should also be as protected as possible.
    dearteodorap,-sore hocks [can be] a sign of weight problem,[diet]--may need to weigh daily,.more ie.timothy,orchard,grasses,-I use bactine,Neosporin,-wrap with coban,-it does breath and promotes healing,keeping the foot clean,--coban even makes a nice bootie if required..--coban is an athletic wrap,that can be cut to length,and replaced in kind,--purchased from any pharmacy/online,etc.-sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa
    Last edited by jewaller; 09-06-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: adding info