• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to insulate & bedroom ideas

BigBunnyBenji

Mama Doe
:wave:

It's getting to that time of year again where it's pretty chilly! :roll:

Last year, winter was so mild that I didn't need to insulate the shed. The bowl of water didn't freeze over once, so I took that as a sign that it can't have been TOO cold in there. My shed is an overlap, so there are a few gaps in between each panel of wood, so I was just wondering, what can I do to insulate the shed, what have other people done?

Also, my two are a bit of a pain. At the moment, they have a big fluffy dog basket in the corner, but I don't even know if they use it. I worry about them not having somewhere warm to cuddle up. I tried giving them a dog kennel last winter, and they got really bad with their litter tray. If I put blankets in it, they would just pull them up and pee on them, and if I put hay in it, they would start going to the toilet everywhere, whereas normally they are good with their litter tray. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do for them as like a bedroom/snuggly area.

My partner is about to insulate his shed with some foil coated bubble wrap that you can get off eBay(I'm going to pinch the left overs to line the bedroom department of the new hutch), it traps heat in but reflects heat in the summer so they don't boil;) As for bedding, I'd love to know what I can use as I have the same problem as you, if I give him a blanket he pees on it, if I use straw he chews it and poops in his bed lol:roll: At the moment he has a blanket in a carry case, I think he pees on it once then stops but not sure if this is suitable for a hutch.. But if your rabbits are pulling their bedding out it sounds like they don't want it there?

I've given up giving Truffles particularly anything snuggly. She either eats it or wees on it and it just makes her cross!

I plan on using carpet for something more warm-toe-friendly!

For insulation, either polystyrene panels (about £12 for 8x 1"-thick 1.5'x4' panels at B&Q) or foil-backed bubblewrap. Then plywood over.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I actually have a massive plastic dog kennel they could use as a bed, but the annoying thing is, it actually has holes in the bottom.. so if they did pee, it would go all over the carpet. :roll:
If I put hay/straw in it, I can guarantee they will pee in it, if I put blankets in it, they will dig them out. Is there any material I could put in that they can't eat, but is comfy?

Back