• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Helpucover vs Petplan

Tidgy

Warren Scout
Hi
I have four rabbits who are insured on Petplan. I am currently fostering two other rabbits and considering adopting them fully, but am worried about the cost of insurance as it is generally £10 per rabbit... making it £60 a month for the six which seems so much!

If I switch to Helpucover it would only cost me a few pounds more than the £40 a month for the six rabbits, so my question is does anyone else here use Helpucover and are they any good?

Hi
I have four rabbits who are insured on Petplan. I am currently fostering two other rabbits and considering adopting them fully, but am worried about the cost of insurance as it is generally £10 per rabbit... making it £60 a month for the six which seems so much!

If I switch to Helpucover it would only cost me a few pounds more than the £40 a month for the six rabbits, so my question is does anyone else here use Helpucover and are they any good?

I pay about that too (£9 off per rabbit and I have two) have you tried ringing up and asking about multipet discounts? I know I could get the pet insurance cheaper but I choose to stick with petplan because they are apparently so good with paying out, no fuss.

I use helpucover. Probably claimed near 3 grand off them, this is my 3rd year with them, and I've never had a problem!

I took out helpucover for my new bun this year, have not had to claim so far (thankfully) so can't comment on the claiming procedure.

With regards to cover, I think they were very similar including the exclusions. Also the excess was less.

Do they exclude dental issues as PetPlan do?

They've got funny wording in their policy so it's a bit unknown - apparently they'll cover dental issues after the rabbit has been with them for 2 years but don't do burring/rasping/trimming...so I think they will cover issues like tooth extraction but not normal dentals?! I'm not honestly sure.

They've got funny wording in their policy so it's a bit unknown - apparently they'll cover dental issues after the rabbit has been with them for 2 years but don't do burring/rasping/trimming...so I think they will cover issues like tooth extraction but not normal dentals?! I'm not honestly sure.

Thank you .. I was interested as a few years ago I was quoted PetPlan premiums of £25 per rabbit, which was OTT :shock:

Helpucover sounds much more affordable x

Do they exclude dental issues as PetPlan do?

Petplan do dental as long as you can prove that they get their teeth checked at least once a year. I'm in the process of claiming with petplan so can't comment until I get my money back haha

I have 3 bunnies in Petplan & 3 on helpucover. My dental bunny is with helpucover who won't cover :roll: cost me £700 since July this year!! One of my Petplan buns needed a dental a week ago & all I paid was my £50 excess. Petplan all the way for me in future, it's not worth the £3 a month saving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two buns, both insured with Helpucover. Mini has been in and out of the vets since Jan and we've claimed back around £1000 from Helpucover so far with no problems. I've no experience of dental issues, but it did cover 2 weeks when she was hospitalised at the vets. The only thing they wouldn't pay up for was 100% of the cost of the special diet she was on for a while. They also only raised the premium by about £2 pm this year which I was a bit surprised by given the amount we've had to claim.

Claims process has been pretty pain free, though I will say they aren't *great* at keeping in touch. I'm a bit of a control freak though, so like to know what's going on!

Does anyone know if the premiums and also the excess go up as the bun gets older, as with PetPlan?

I'm not sure on age point of view, but I am 99% sure the premiums don't go up due to the severity of illnesses/how much you've claimed. As I said before, I've probably claimed near enough three grand so far and my premium has stayed the same (£7.90 I think!) as has my excess (£45 p/condition, p/policy year). I know they don't insure over 5s - I don't think any insurers do, to be honest! - but I don't *think* they go up with age. Alfred is only 3, so I've not experienced that yet!

I'm not sure on age point of view, but I am 99% sure the premiums don't go up due to the severity of illnesses/how much you've claimed. As I said before, I've probably claimed near enough three grand so far and my premium has stayed the same (£7.90 I think!) as has my excess (£45 p/condition, p/policy year). I know they don't insure over 5s - I don't think any insurers do, to be honest! - but I don't *think* they go up with age. Alfred is only 3, so I've not experienced that yet!

Hmmm thank you, worth me thinking about for my young 'un then ...

Back