• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can I see your dog kennel and playhouse pictures!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I'm considering one when the garden is done for my trio. There slowly ruining our house :(
Could I please see pictures and recommendations on sizes and where to buy from? Thanks :)

Last edited:
This is mine. It is 10ft x 5ft. I got it from Hampsons sheds on Ebay. They delivered it to Edinburgh and put it up for me. We've since moved house and it was easy to take down and put back up. I'm really pleased with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Added playhouses as well as had a look and the kennels seem to be very expensive :(

Love the kennels you have posted do you mind me asking how much you paid?

jt2v84.jpg

set up on left for 2 dwarf lops - 4x5 playhouse £175 (on offer from £275 at local shed company) homemade run 6x4x4 (est £75 incl plastic roofing)
set up on right for giant (single at mo) - 6x8 shed (got ages ago!) homemade run 8x8 with 3x6 extension - est £600 total?

Last edited:
Added playhouses as well as had a look and the kennels seem to be very expensive :(

Love the kennels you have posted do you mind me asking how much you paid?

I've forgotten how much it paid for mine actually, but I think it was £450 ish, which included £90 for delivery and set up. Mine was a custom size, but it seemed no problem for them to make it. They also made a rabbit sized pop hole instead of a dog sized one. This is the seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dog-kenne..._Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item2a44f6cf2b

I've had a Wendy house/run set up too and although I liked it, I definitely prefer the kennel. I just felt the Wendy house was too short/small to really get in so I never sat in it with the bunnies and it was a slight pain to clean out. I'll find some pics for you tomorrow though. It was certainly cheaper than the kennel.

I've forgotten how much it paid for mine actually, but I think it was £450 ish, which included £90 for delivery and set up. Mine was a custom size, but it seemed no problem for them to make it. They also made a rabbit sized pop hole instead of a dog sized one. This is the seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dog-kenne..._Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item2a44f6cf2b

I've had a Wendy house/run set up too and although I liked it, I definitely prefer the kennel. I just felt the Wendy house was too short/small to really get in so I never sat in it with the bunnies and it was a slight pain to clean out. I'll find some pics for you tomorrow though. It was certainly cheaper than the kennel.

Thank you I think we might be going for one of these kennels :)
Very excited even though it won't be until next year :lol:
Is your shed bit insulated? And do you shut them in overnight? Are the locks very secure in terrified of putting them outside and someone taking them :(

I haven't insulated the shed bit, but there's a medium sized kennel/hut in there now which I fill with hay and straw in winter. It stays warm in there, water bowls didn't freeze in sub zero temperatures last year. When I used snugglesafes they got the hump, so I took them out.

I added hasp and clasps to each door and padlocked them. I use carabinas now instead of padlocks since I lost the keys and panicked and our garden is pretty secure now. It only came with the turny things you can see in the photos. I didn't think to ask, but I'm sure they'd use something else if you asked. It's really sturdy. The mesh is 2" x 2" so I've added some smaller mesh just in case, as we do have foxes here. I've also meshed around the gap at the bottom as one of my bunnies could squeeze under gaps that small! I doubt most bunnies would though and it's good for drainage when you hoes out.

I haven't insulated the shed bit, but there's a medium sized kennel/hut in there now which I fill with hay and straw in winter. It stays warm in there, water bowls didn't freeze in sub zero temperatures last year. When I used snugglesafes they got the hump, so I took them out.

I added hasp and clasps to each door and padlocked them. I use carabinas now instead of padlocks since I lost the keys and panicked and our garden is pretty secure now. It only came with the turny things you can see in the photos. I didn't think to ask, but I'm sure they'd use something else if you asked. It's really sturdy. The mesh is 2" x 2" so I've added some smaller mesh just in case, as we do have foxes here. I've also meshed around the gap at the bottom as one of my bunnies could squeeze under gaps that small! I doubt most bunnies would though and it's good for drainage when you hoes out.

When you say meshed the gap at the bottom, do you have a photo I can see? I have 3 tiny bunnies and an escape artist so a bit concerned lol!

I'll get one later. If you look in the first photo you can see the whole kennel is raised off the ground an in inch or so. I doubt even most small bunnies could get out, but Alfie could squeeze himself as flat as a pancake and squeeze under things. It was bizarre! I also thought it would keep rodents etc out too though. I wouldn't want the gap to not be there though as it makes hosing out/disinfecting much easier.

I'll get one later. If you look in the first photo you can see the whole kennel is raised off the ground an in inch or so. I doubt even most small bunnies could get out, but Alfie could squeeze himself as flat as a pancake and squeeze under things. It was bizarre! I also thought it would keep rodents etc out too though. I wouldn't want the gap to not be there though as it makes hosing out/disinfecting much easier.

That would be good thanks I'm a bit concerned about Alice as she's so tiny and a real escape artist!

When you say meshed the gap at the bottom, do you have a photo I can see? I have 3 tiny bunnies and an escape artist so a bit concerned lol!

Personally I'd just ask for them to put wood along the gaps at the bottom rather than faff with mesh. I'm sure they could do it easily for barely any extra cost. I think in most kennels they actually have to faff and cut those small bits of wood up to create the gaps anyway, so it may well be easier for them. Depends if you would need to hose it out, as personally I don't think I would so I'd rather it be boarded up :D

A few pics of my set up. These photos are a couple of years old now and I hadn't realised how much the foam matting's faded in the sun..... :lol::lol: It's a 12x4 aviary, rather than a dog kennel - most of the dog kennels I was looking at were only 5ft in height, whereas this is 6ft, so I don't need to worry about banging my head on the ceiling.

I use carabiners instead of padlocks too, so much easier. :thumb:

DSCF7415.jpg

DSCF7412.jpg

DSCF7421.jpg

DSCF7416.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!
I have contacted the seller to see if he can do a few custom bits for me, I want it 6 foot, with a locking cat flap instead of a door and I've asked for it to be flush against the floor instead of with a gap. Waiting to see what he comes back with :)

All these lovely pictures are making me have kennel envy!

:thumb: We had ours made at a local shed builders and it was made to our spec. We originally had a pair and a separate bunny so we ended up using the large part for all buns and dividing it as the bonding did not go to plan. We now just have two and have kep them in the large bit and use the shed part as storage.

The front now has perspex at the bottom and a wooden "shutter" at the top which can all be opened up. We have lighting and heating in there and it is also insulated now.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...U-D-Photos-for-Liz/page3&highlight=dog+chalet

:thumb: We had ours made at a local shed builders and it was made to our spec. We originally had a pair and a separate bunny so we ended up using the large part for all buns and dividing it as the bonding did not go to plan. We now just have two and have kep them in the large bit and use the shed part as storage.

The front now has perspex at the bottom and a wooden "shutter" at the top which can all be opened up. We have lighting and heating in there and it is also insulated now.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...U-D-Photos-for-Liz/page3&highlight=dog+chalet

Oh wow love it!
Was it hard or expensive to do the heating?
I definitely want a light and a heater in ours :)

Here is my summerhouse and aviary set up:

The summerhouse is 7 x 5 and the aviary is 9 x 6 - cost about £800 total I think, but very much worth it.

Back