• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Wendy House Project - Update Pg4 - Its ready!!!

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Hi RU!

It’s been a while… :wave: I picked up this Wendy House off of Freecycle over 2 ½ years ago and it’s been sitting there ever since.
I don’t know why but just recently something made me think seriously about adopting rabbits again… Must be crazy! :roll:

… The Wendy House is now standing and there’s is a lot of work to be done before it will be ready!!!
I’m starting this post to record the progress and hopefully get some advice too!

My OH made the ground level, the base is about 7ft x 6ft…, interior is more like 6 1/2ft x 5 ½ft. Its huge, I might move in!! So thankfully just with a little clearing of the area and some paving slabs we had a pretty solid base to begin with.

Putting it together was actually pretty easy!! It just slotted together nicely and with a few nails in each of the corners, hey presto - it was solid!
Here it is looking pretty shabby at the moment, hopefully will be shabby chic soon!! (Actually on second thoughts it looks terrifying to me right now!!! :shock:)

photo by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

So then, the next steps are...

Wendy House:

Repair roof, waterproof with polythene sheet and felt
Attach guttering and waterbutt (maybe)
Mesh the windows and / or cover with perspex / weatherproof material
Fix hole just under left window
Lino the whole interior floor
Insulate with bubble wrap or polystyrene and line interior with thin ply
Build indoor second level and ramp
Paint outside

For the attached run:

Im either going to buy a load of galvanised mesh or use some of the materials I have already... Basically back when I kept indoor rabbits, I bought about 30 of these galvanised metal squares. They are great for making indoor cages to fit any space but now they could start a new life as part of the permanent run... I have already left 4 of the squares outside in all weather for about 2 years and there is no signs of rusting or anything so they should be perfect.

Anyway they would form the solid lower base of the run frame (3 sides about 4 ½ foot high) and above that it will just be netting or a lighter mesh if I can find it cheap enough.
This will sit on a base of paving slabs around edges of the inside of the run. I’m thinking of having a sort of double door to enter the run so I can get in but buns can’t get out!! Not sure where to position this yet, might be at the end of the run, or closer to the Wendy House might be more sensible.

If anyone has hints or tips for me I’d be grateful, please do point out stuff I have missed as I’m sure there is plenty!

Here are my plans not exactly to scale just rough idea, wish me luck! :D

photo (1) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just a quick update, we now have enough paving slabs to outline the run and I have picked up all the wood this morning from Wickes (9 x 2.4m lengths & 8 x 1.8m). Just waiting for the mesh to be delivered which will be Monday hopefully... The run will be 2.5m wide x2.5m long & 1.8m high! I have amended my plans now... I'm not going to attach it directly to the Wendy house, but instead have an area for my access in front of the wendy house, then the run attached to that with a tunnel going into the run for bunny access from the wendy house... I have a lovely 3m roll of Lino I got from the off cuts section in carpet right and will be picking up the paint from Wilko's tomorrow, probably going to go for the Cuprinol 'Sage' colour but we will see if I am feeling brave enough to try something else... :) So thats all the big materials I need really! This has turned out to be quite a large diy project but I would have spent a fortune buying it all pre-done, and I get a custom build this way... just need to get the OH on board now :roll:!!! Here are my updated plans and pics.... xx :D

photo (2) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

photo (1) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

It's going to be great :thumb: I would advise putting weldmesh under the grass in the run area, to stop them digging out :thumb:

Thanks Zoobec, my mesh literally just arrived! Would you just lay the mesh directly onto the grass and let it grow through? or will I have to dig all the turf up as that would be quite a job!! :) xx I haven't got buns yet so have a bit of time to let it grow? xx

Last edited:
I'd lay the mesh so the edges tucked under the paving slabs and then pin it down in a few places in the middle with U shaped bits of wire. It will rest/gradually sink slightly into the ground and not be noticeable once the grass has grown.

The plans look great, the only thing you might want is a paving slab where the door to the shed is so it doesn't get muddy for you.

I'd lay the mesh so the edges tucked under the paving slabs and then pin it down in a few places in the middle with U shaped bits of wire. It will rest/gradually sink slightly into the ground and not be noticeable once the grass has grown.

The plans look great, the only thing you might want is a paving slab where the door to the shed is so it doesn't get muddy for you.

Thanks Tamsin, I will definitely do that :) I don't want any escapees!!! My last bunny Domino was Houdini re-incarnated Im sure! I was also thinking of get a sand pit or something for digging in, but I think I have enough to be getting on with for a bit... And very good point I am going to need a step outside the door!! Thanks :) xx

Thank you!! :) I need to find some glass or plastic to fill in the windows now (will be meshing them too). I have decided Ill go charity shop hunting and hopefully Ill find some photo frames or something suitable to fill the gaps. Its really expensive to buy cut acrylic!! unless anyone else has any ideas for the windows? xx

Hiya, what a great job you've done it's looking fab! I love the idea of wendy houses for buns :)

I was wondering if there was a local company who use perspex sheeting etc and might have offcuts. But I think charity shops etc are a good idea as the pieces might be just right. Or keep an eye on freecycle for someone getting rid of smaller greenhouses/lean too outside rooms for suitable materials. I'm going to do similar for winter sides to a new outside enclosure ;)

Thats a great transformation! Let me know if you find any plastic because I'm looking for some plastic/glass for my Wendy house windows too! :wave:

Looks so much better painted!

If you are meshing as well anyway, try twin wall polycarbonate, I think it's cheaper and will be better insulated. You won't be able too see as well through it but I doubt you'll be spending too much time watching through the windows anyway and it will still let light in. You could fit it in removable shutters or in frames on hinges, so you can remove it in summer.

I love seeing this come along :D

One thing to consider with polycarbonate is whether you'll want to sit in with them and look out the window. I got polycarbonate for my shed as it was so cheap but every time I sit in with them I wish I had at least one perspex window.

Thanks yes, I would consider the polycarbonate but like you say its nice to look out, I kind of imagined the bunnies sitting and looking out too (at the neighbours as its facing them... :lol:)..

I do like that idea of fitting them in removable shutters though, thats quite a cool idea :) then if its a nice day they can just be opened up for some fresh air too... hmm we will see what I can find!!

Thanks everyone, Ill keep updating on the progress... Hopefully we will have some bunnies moving in before christmas!!!!:D

Back