• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fitch, Auboise, Megazorb or another substrate, from those who have tried them?

I used to use Megazorb and found it quite good, until one delivery where it seemed very dusty. Then one of my rabbits started sneezing. The vet found nothing obvious to explain this and we concluded it was probably the Megazorb. Sneezing stopped, incidentally, when I started using Burgess Excel litter. It is very absorbent and I find controls odours better than Megazorb. Because I don't use nearly as much as Megazorb, it turns out to be just as, if not more economical. I buy 2 bags for £11 at my local pet shop and they will last 6 - 7 weeks for 2 rabbits. The downside of Burgess Excel is that it is not soft like Megazorb. If it's not covered in quite a thick layer of hay, I think it probably hurts the bunnies' feet. Once it gets wet, however, it turns to a compost-like consistency which is quite soft. I see there's another post from August 2014 about this litter with lots of owners worrying that their rabbits eat it. Mine do like a nibble on it now and then, although generally prefer their hay. I rang Smartbedz, the manufacturers, to find out if this would be a problem. They assured me that it wouldn't be as they said it was 100% straw (plus a natural insect repellent). They also told me that you could use the Smartbedz universal litter for rabbits, but it wouldn't have the insect repellent in it.

Can Fitch be put into my council compost/waste food bins?Id like to get some for my guinea pigs 6x4 cage but cant dispose of it in my ordinary rubbish bin as it would be too bulky.

Hi Miss Binky, how are you getting on with Fitch? I use layer of newspaper, layer of bedexcel and then straw but they pull on the paper which then scatters the bedexcel which then scatters the hay which then leads to 3 of us having a staring contest which they win. :rolleyes: So I think I'll stop the paper as it's this they seem to want to shred and just stick with either magazorb or Fitch with hay on top. Hopefully we'll have their new home finished by start of next week and I've new bigger boxes to use as litter trays (bit like these but lower http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/underbed-storage-box-with-lid-32l-257927) so hoping they may be more comfortable and less likely to make dirty protests!!

Hi G Man,
Apologies, only saw your question now. I must have missed it at the time.

The Fitch is great. I'm still on the same 20kg bag I bought after starting the thread. Maybe about 3/4 of the way through. Bun's had no problems with it and nor have I. Hardly any smell, it lasts well and isn't dusty. I change her litter daily and line with newspaper underneath. It's absorbing as well, probably better than anything else I've tried. It doesn't seem to get sodden and mushy like Back 2 Nature did either. It's totally compostable, bonus and, easy to pick up the odd bits that do get trampled out and put them back into the litter tray. She isn't eating it like with the Burgess Excel Barley Litter Pellets, and doesn't have as much inclination to dig out her litter box... Pound for pound I'd say it's lasting longer than Carefresh Litter Plus also. :)

Last edited:
Back