• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help with cleaning bisc's underneath please

well that was a disaster. tried soaked baby wipes first and they didn't do much. tried the bum bath next and that got alot off but not all. he was terrified. eyes bulging and breathing loudly. dried him as best i could with towels but don't know if he's still too wet?

scared now that his snuffles will flare up, his stress will cause his tummy to be set off and make all this worse.

i've not long had him clean underneath, and only just got his weight back up a bit. what was i thinking :cry:

The soaked baby wipes do have to be held on for quite a while, they do soften it eventually though. I use these as Louie would also be terrified if I tried to wash him in the sink.

The soaked baby wipes do have to be held on for quite a while, they do soften it eventually though. I use these as Louie would also be terrified if I tried to wash him in the sink.

i don't think i gave the wipes long enough. o/h was holding him as normal but bisc's eyes were bulging so much so i was rushing and panicking myself. :( the main bits are off now but i won't ever be giving him a bum bath again. it was probably a stupid thing to do considering he is a snuffle bun. now i'm so worried he isn't dry enough and will get ill :(

i don't think i gave the wipes long enough. o/h was holding him as normal but bisc's eyes were bulging so much so i was rushing and panicking myself. :( the main bits are off now but i won't ever be giving him a bum bath again. it was probably a stupid thing to do considering he is a snuffle bun. now i'm so worried he isn't dry enough and will get ill :(

He will be fine :D

Also, once the wipes have softened the poo, I prize it apart and cut out whatever I can (puke!).

He will be fine :D

Also, once the wipes have softened the poo, I prize it apart and cut out whatever I can (puke!).

i have a beard trimmer i use for him :oops: so i got some off with that. some was just too close to his bits though.

just feel so upset and angry at myself for trying to change his diet when it was all going so well. :evil:

i have a beard trimmer i use for him :oops: so i got some off with that. some was just too close to his bits though.

just feel so upset and angry at myself for trying to change his diet when it was all going so well. :evil:

Don't feel bad. Louie has episodes when we have changed absolutely nothing in his diet, it just seems to be some kind of stomach problem that he has.

Bum washing is horrible. I buy from sainsburys the basic blue cloths (like j cloths), basic sponges and the white dish clothes. Works out about 5 pence a cloth so you can throw them. I also spend a fortune on paper towels, the thick ones. Not just for bottom cleaning Mr B but for all the animals hutches etc.

I get the blue cleaning cloth and soak it in warm water and keep wetting it over and over and soaking any hardened poo. Mr B doesn't wiggle so I can use blunt scissors to snip any lumps off, not near his anus and penis though.

You may have to use a large amount of paper towels as well. I only bum wash in the sink as a last resort, which is usually when its on his stomach, bottom and feet. Thank goodness only twice in the last 6 months. I think you learn to get it down to a fine art and adjust to the best way that suits you both. They don't like it and some will struggle more or seem more distressed but it doesn't hurt them so don't worry I think they get indignant and sulk afterwards but all is forgiven with Mr B seconds later when I give him a crunchie. Total bottom soak is a long sulk though.;). I have to crawl under the bed with a crunchie then.

I must be extremely lucky then, Mary never struggles and sits in my hand with an expression that seems to say, "go on dad, get it over with!" she just sits on my lap afterwards whilst I towel dry her. ;) Mind you, with her stomach problems, I have to wash her roughly once a fortnight, she stays in the house till fully dry during the winter, then out into a warm shed and clean hutch.

If I have to use anything I get a jug of water with the small animal shampoo and make a weak solution. I then use the cotton wool pads to dip in and then squeeze them out so they are just damp so warm enough to soften anything and then I "tease" anything out of the fur and it seems to work well. Then I use a dry cotton wool pad to rub all over to get any wet off (which is not a lot as the cotton wool pads are only damp).

I tried a bum bath once and it was a nightmare so always stick to doing it like I mention above if it is hard. If it is wet and I can react quickly then I have baby wipes close at hand in a drawer and they usually work.

thanks everyone. i've calmed down a bit now. bisc was completely fine a few mins after, and i was upset for hours :oops: he's being totally himself so think he's ok. :love: when he started cleaning afterwards, it was like he suddenly realised what we were doing.

he was really good overall in terms of not jumping or wriggling, but his eyes scare me when they bulge that much.

will re-check him again tomorrow and use wipes to soak any last little bits. he also feels dry now aswell. phew! :lol:

Back