• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Renal Failure and sub cuts

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have a rabbit with renal failure and have been advised by my vet to give sub cuts twice a week. No more than 60mls.

I was wonder if this is what other have been advised?

Thank you inadvance

Hi,

I have a rabbit with renal failure and have been advised by my vet to give sub cuts twice a week. No more than 60mls.

I was wonder if this is what other have been advised?

Thank you inadvance

Has he had I/V fluids at the vet for several days?

No. The vet (not our usual one) suggested it but then talked himself out of saying rabbits were very hard to put on a drip and decided sub cuts would be easier. They had her in for one day to see how she reacted to them. As she was eating (in their view) well during that day they felt we could continue this at home.

She does seem to be eating but her weight has dropped. I am giving her panacur too just in case.

I have had Rabbits in CRF to whom I have administered SQ fluids. Is your Rabbit on any medication such as Benazepril ?

She is not on any meds at all.

Should I be asking the vet about Benazepril?

Any advice really appreciated. I feel like I am doing very little to help Molly at the moment. :(

She is not on any meds at all.

Should I be asking the vet about Benazepril?

Any advice really appreciated. I feel like I am doing very little to help Molly at the moment. :(

Rabbits can take Fortekor for renal failure and it helps them.

I/V fluids are FAR more effective than sub cut, and it can be a matter of life and death.

Sub cut fluids, at the vets or at home, are very useful for maintaining kidney function in a rabbit for whom there is usually no hope of recovery. Sub cut is definitely helpful, but your rabbit will feel far better and eat better after having had I/V fluids .. it can set them up to be 'topped up' with sub cut fluids thereafter.

I haven't known a vet to say he prefers not to do I/V fluids because they are difficult to administer in a rabbit ..

Thank you both. I will be taking her to the vets tomorrow and will raise these points. It will be a different vet from last time but sadly not my preferred vet who is away for another week.

x

Thank you for asking. x

The vet was happy with how Molly was coping with the sub cuts but did subscribe her Benazepril (which she had never given to a rabbit before).

We are to see how she reacts to the new meds and return in 10 days.

Thank you for asking. x

The vet was happy with how Molly was coping with the sub cuts but did subscribe her Benazepril (which she had never given to a rabbit before).

We are to see how she reacts to the new meds and return in 10 days.

Sounds good! The Benazepril (it's the same medication as Fortekor which I mentioned earlier) can make some rabbits go off their food initially, so keep an eye on her. Which you are doing anyway :thumb:

Last edited:
Thank you for clarfifing they are the same. :D

At least I feel like we are doing something more to help her now. I am thankful for both of you advice.

My preferred vet is back next week so her next appoitnment will be with him.

x

I recently lost my beloved bunny sox in august, he was diagnosed with kidney disease at year old, we had him on fortekor and he managed happily for almost 2 more years with us , hope the meds help your rabbit kidney disease is one of the worst things xxx

IV fluids are great, but your vet is right - they are so hard to give to rabbits! I work at a vets, we recently had a rabbit in on IVFT and it chewed through the connector/giving set 3 times!
SC fluids aren't as quick to work but it will still help your rabbits kidneys lots :)
Hope he feels much better soon! Sending vibes x

IV fluids are great, but your vet is right - they are so hard to give to rabbits! I work at a vets, we recently had a rabbit in on IVFT and it chewed through the connector/giving set 3 times!
SC fluids aren't as quick to work but it will still help your rabbits kidneys lots :)
Hope he feels much better soon! Sending vibes x

yes agree with this, it also depends on the condition of your rabbits, if very ill then I found sox never chewed through, and the only time he went in for dental and was put on drip due to his kidney issues just to help him as he was well within himself at that time he chewed through it

yes agree with this, it also depends on the condition of your rabbits, if very ill then I found sox never chewed through, and the only time he went in for dental and was put on drip due to his kidney issues just to help him as he was well within himself at that time he chewed through it

Agreed :thumb: If a rabbit is in serious decline through acute renal failure, then I/V fluids can help tremendously. And as you say, they don't have the wherewithal to chew through the tube :)

Back