• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watery Eyes

What to do ?

• Take Max to the Vet

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Don't take him to the vet it will clear up in its own time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only take him to the vet if it gets worse

• Other (please write bellow in the comments)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ASTRID

Young Bun
Within the last two days I have noticed a oily liquid coming from Max's eye's (one worse than the other) there are no ther symptoms attached to this just they eyes. He's eating and drinking well toileting's normal and activity's the same.
Any suggestions will be appreciated (I'm going to put up a vote to see whether I should take him to the vet or not)
Thanks Astrid x

Watery eyes can be a sign of infection or Dental problems, amongst other things. So he needs to be seen by a Vet

I agree. A vet visit is the way to go. My Mottle has watery eyes and sneezes. He has been given antibiotics and has had to have his teeth spurs filed down (under ga).

His partner, Peaches, keeps him nice and clean and he has regular check ups to make sure his teeth arent in need of filing down again.

Best of luck. Hope it is something easy to treat and quick to resolve.

Watering eyes or discharge from the eyes can be the symptom of a few different issues, so it's best to get it checked out.

Make sure your vet does a full health check including checking the back teeth with an otoscope, some vets that aren't experienced in rabbit medicine can have a tendency to just prescribe eyedrops straight away instead of looking for the underlying cause. Watering eyes can be a symptom of pain or dental problems so it's important to get a thorough health check.

Back