• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fox attack/ myxy

Thoughts please..... My two giant rabbits have lived loose I'm our large garden for the last three years with me shutting them into their aviary and shed at night. Last couple of weeks they have decided they didn't want to come in at night and as they have made large burrow s etc it's impossible to get them in if they don't want to. So anyway midnight on Sunday I heard awful screaming ran out to find huge Fox cornering daisy, chased it off and then realised basil had already been attacked but obviously fought off the Fox (he is very big and strong). Amazingly he seemed to have got off lightly.. Took him to vet to check and he only had tiny knick on ear and bruising and sprain to leg. Started him on pain killers and antibiotics in case even tho knick was tiny. All seemed well on Tuesday then he looked a little down in dumps but obviousmy put it down to stress/shock. Then today he has massively swollen face , eyes and genitals :( I spoke to vet (will be taking him back to vet tomo) and he sdems to think he has myxy! I said could Fox of passed it on and he said no just coincidence, I can't believe that!! How could it possibly have nothing to do with the attack when he hasn't got in in last 3 yrs and my other giant hasn't got it??? What are your thoughts? Could it be something else to do with the Fox attack?

Please don't have a go for not having them vaccinated I feel terrible.... My 2 small rabbits are vaccinated but I was advised the dose was no good for giants. This new vet said that's not the case :(

Myxi is usually spread by blood sucking insects- eg flea or mosquitoes. The Foxes will no doubt carry fleas so it is possible that the Fox was in part involved. Not that the Fox gave your Rabbit Myxomatosis, but the fleas the Fox has may have acted as a Vector

Sadly as the effected Rabbit is not vaccinated the prognosis is grave :cry: It is possible that your other Rabbit may develope symptoms in the next few days. So I would get both Rabbits to a Vet ASAP.

The Fox will be back and your sick Rabbit will be a sitting target :cry:

We live and learn. After this I'm sure you'll vaccinate them. I personally would think it could be transmitted but I'm not an expert x

Your old vet was wrong and that awful advice will most likely cost you the life of your bun. :cry: I am very sorry you were given this advice, I would personally complain about that vet so as to stop him giving out anymore advice.

I do hope you have stopped letting your buns out unsupervised. The fox will be back now that he/she knows where your buns are. I would suggest keeping them shut in their hutch/shed/run and making sure that all your bun's accommodation is 100£ fox proof. A hungry fox is a very determined fox.

Sending vibes for your buns. x

The rabbits are shut in their enclosure so safe. The vet said if it is myxy he would put him to sleep. Do any of you think I should give him more of a chance than that or is that just prolonging his suffering and certain death? Seems so sad x

Myxi is usually spread by blood sucking insects- eg flea or mosquitoes. The Foxes will no doubt carry fleas so it is possible that the Fox was in part involved. Not that the Fox gave your Rabbit Myxomatosis, but the fleas the Fox has may have acted as a Vector

Sadly as the effected Rabbit is not vaccinated the prognosis is grave :cry: It is possible that your other Rabbit may develope symptoms in the next few days. So I would get both Rabbits to a Vet ASAP.

The Fox will be back and your sick Rabbit will be a sitting target :cry:

Yes until they are 100% better I won't be letting them out but then I would as I 100% think theit free life with risks is happier than always being shut in. Their aviary is 15 ft x 12 ft and their shed is 25ft x 9 ft but they are never happier than when binkying round the garden and running free, grazing , burrowing etc. I know not everyone agrees with this view bbut I know they are miserable when confined. Over 6 years we have lost 2 chickens before to Fox so I know he's been in garden but I'm wondering if basil actually caught myxy before the attack and it's only showing now. That would explain why he's not been caught before and why it looks like a coincidence maybe.

and yes I'll be having a serious word with my old vet X

Yes until they are 100% better I won't be letting them out but then I would as I 100% think theit free life with risks is happier than always being shut in. Their aviary is 15 ft x 12 ft and their shed is 25ft x 9 ft but they are never happier than when binkying round the garden and running free, grazing , burrowing etc. I know not everyone agrees with this view bbut I know they are miserable when confined. Over 6 years we have lost 2 chickens before to Fox so I know he's been in garden but I'm wondering if basil actually caught myxy before the attack and it's only showing now. That would explain why he's not been caught before and why it looks like a coincidence maybe.

and yes I'll be having a serious word with my old vet X

With their aviary and run at that size they will be fine in there. You can let them out for supervised free range time, that's what I do with mine but I would not put their lives at risk, especially when you came so close to losing them.

It depends on the severity of the myxi and people's personal opinions. I've never had to deal with it and don't know what I'd do in that situation...if you don't choose to pts, however, I know from other posts that it will be a long and difficult road ahead. He will need to be nursed indoors 24/7, syringe fed during the night if/when he loses his appetite etc. It will depend on if you have the time and money to nurse him through it. If your new vet is good, he should be able to give you some advice if you choose to fight. Many vets will put a bun down if they have full blown myxi, though, mainly because it is quite unlikely that he will survive and many believe that it is cruel to keep them going. Like I said, it's personal opinion. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I'd definitely find the time and money to nurse him but wouldn't want him to suffer if the outcome will be the same or if he'll be left badly disabled or anything. He doesn't have any puss or anything so I don't know if that means it's not too bad a case or its just not developed fully yet. My new vet is much more knowledgeable and interested in rabbits than my last one so I think he'd help if he thought he could but he didn't seem hopeful. When he looks at him tomorrow morning we'll know more. X

Also just another thought, can rabbits be allergic to baytril or metacam? Because that's what it looks like when someone has allergic reaction and looked like they've been punched on the eyes.??

Myxi makes the eyes and genitals swell horribly, I'm afraid. At this stage it won't be fully developed and will only get worse before getting better. Monitor his breathing and input/output. If he seems to be struggling, don't hesitate to ring the out of hours vet for advice. Hopefully a rabbit savvy vet will be on call.

I believe there are some FB pages for buns with myxi to help owners to nurse their buns. Unfortunately, I don't know them, it might be worth having a search or ask about.

I've not heard of an allergic reaction like that and I think if it was then it would be accompanied by throat swelling which would have been quite acute and serious.

Unfortunately what you describe sounds just like myxi. There isn't any treatment specifically for it so it's a case of nursing care to keep them eating, painkillers and antibiotics. It takes about 6-8 weeks for the full cycle and with an unvaccinated rabbit the chances of survival are very low. It's tough to give up early when a bun doesn't look so bad though. If you wanted to give it a few more days and see how it progresses then I think with vet care that would be okay. Just judge things based on his behaviour.

:( the vet thinks he should be put down. He definitely has myxy. The vet assures me in a few days he will not be able to walk around properly, eat, see etc and will have puss and be suffering but it's difficult for me to make the decision now when he's hopping around and eating. Although his face looks sore and swollen. Obviously if I left it and it got worse I'd wish I'd put him to sleep earlier. I think I know he should be pts this morning but suppose I'm looking for reassurance it will definitely get worse??? So sad, wish he'd been vaccinated. X

So sorry to read this. I am glad that you will be contacting your old vet that gave you wrong advice re; vaccinations. How is your ill rabbit's partner doing?

Their set up sounds amazing. They are lucky to have that kind of space.

Sorry again. Its tough making these kind of decisions for our loved ones. :(

I think you will lose your rabbit, maybe the other one as well. Whether you prolong his departure or have him pts now is up to you. :cry: You can transmit the virus on your hands or clothes so be careful when caring for your other rabbits.

Yes I'm so cross that I listened to the advice. I've done everything I can to give them the best huge enclosure, unlimited hay, good quality pellets and greens , had them neutered and vet treatment for any problems and such a simple vaccination could of prevented this but you just tend to listen to your vet.

Daisy looks totally fine. I will scrub out the entire place and obviously replace all bedding, hay etc. My new vet advised not to vaccinate her just yet as it will make it worse if she has it anyway. He said he would wait a few days to see if she presents any symptoms and then vaccinate. Do you agree or just go for it anyway as if she has it she'll die anyway??

Yes I'm so cross that I listened to the advice. I've done everything I can to give them the best huge enclosure, unlimited hay, good quality pellets and greens , had them neutered and vet treatment for any problems and such a simple vaccination could of prevented this but you just tend to listen to your vet.

Daisy looks totally fine. I will scrub out the entire place and obviously replace all bedding, hay etc. My new vet advised not to vaccinate her just yet as it will make it worse if she has it anyway. He said he would wait a few days to see if she presents any symptoms and then vaccinate. Do you agree or just go for it anyway as if she has it she'll die anyway??

Why don't you seek advice (over the telephone or in person) for all your worries from a second vet who's a bit more clued up about rabbits maybe?

I wouldn't advise having the other bunny vaccinated just yet which is in agreement with your Vet. I hope she hasn't contracted this disease.

Back