• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning Out litter trays

IssyRose

New Kit
Just wondering how people seperate droppings from unsoiled litter? A Litter scoop helps seperate the wet stuff...... but I find my 2 like to mix their dropping in and struggle to get them out completely without changing the entire litter.

Thanks

Just wondering how people seperate droppings from unsoiled litter? A Litter scoop helps seperate the wet stuff...... but I find my 2 like to mix their dropping in and struggle to get them out completely without changing the entire litter.

Thanks

I use hay and newspaper, with no wood shavings or megazorb, so I roll it all up and throw it away.

Welcome to RU :wave:

I spot clean daily and just pull out soiled, if there's some clean mixed in with the soiled, it gets binned too. I don't get too fussy haha! I have 3 large litter trays for 2 small rabbits though.

What litter are you using?

I use the recycled paper litter in her tray then put a couple of sheets of newspaper on top then put her hay on the newspaper. So it doesn't get mixed up with the litter. Down one end of the sheet i put a bit more litter so normally just take the paper out twice a day and replace it. I don't use a lot of litter as just scoop out any below which is wet.

I just didn't want her litter and hay getting all mixed up

I change it all too. Newspaper and hay for the rabbits, newspaper, fitch and hay for the guinea pigs. One (underbed storage box) litter tray per animal.

Hello, I use a thin layer of the recycled newspaper pellets, a load of straw then a bit of hay on top. Then just change it daily (building up a lot of compost, hehe) as by then all the newspaper is wet

No one else seems to use straw, is that for any reason? Keen to do it the best way :)

No litter for me, just paper lining and hay. Change it completely at least once a day and maybe top up hay in the evening :}

I change my two trays daily. If I am filling up a tray, i shoogle the tray about the get the poops to the bottom then add a big pile of hay to the top... Bizarrely they seem to prefer the 'wet' hay:shock:.. Dont know why...? Strange buns....

My bunnies are diggers and would kick litter everywhere given a chance. So we have a layer of Carefresh, then I use a kitchen mesh - like the ones you get to put under your chips in the oven to help them crisp? I get them from the poundshop. Then hay on top of that. So I can scoop droppings and soiled hay off the mesh without having to change the litter underneath, and they can't dig through to the layer of litter either.

:D

Back