Thread: Flooring ideas to go with NIC cubes

Mama Doe

Default Flooring ideas to go with NIC cubes

Very long story short...I bought some NIC cubes for bunny proofing as I came very close to buying a house recently. The house has fallen through so I'm still with the folks but now have the NIC cubes anyway.

So I figured I'd replace marbles' huge dog crate with a homemade cage with the cubes. She is never locked in so I've been wanting to down size the base as she is in my bedroom and takes up so much space.

So my question is what do people use as a floor base for NIC cube type houses? Obviously the crate had a plastic base. II'm thinking just some cheap floor tiles or linoleum type thing, can anyone recommend anywhere to buy it from?

Doesn't quite answer your question, but have you thought about doing away all together and just having a box for shelter - Scamp has an 18" square cardboard box and that's his only 'cage'. You can go a bit bigger/wooden. Or just use the tray out of the dog crate and a box on that for shelter. It will seem smaller even if the floor pad is the same.

The main benefit to a cage for a free range bunny is the shelter/safe space and a cage with bars isn't that useful for that anyway.

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin View Post
    Doesn't quite answer your question, but have you thought about doing away all together and just having a box for shelter - Scamp has an 18" square cardboard box and that's his only 'cage'. You can go a bit bigger/wooden. Or just use the tray out of the dog crate and a box on that for shelter. It will seem smaller even if the floor pad is the same.

The main benefit to a cage for a free range bunny is the shelter/safe space and a cage with bars isn't that useful for that anyway.
    Interesting! I like the idea of no cage. I'd just want something to go under her litter tray in case the odd stray wee dribbles out what do you do with Scamp's litter tray?

He's got a washing up bowl as a litter tray so it's about 6" tall, no escapee wee's. You could go for a taller litter tray or maybe an underbed storage box for more hay space? Grow bag trays are like a crate tray but narrower if you wanted something like that. So many options

Wise Old Thumper Mrs. Bunnykins's Avatar

Katie88, can I ask, where did you get your nic cubes from? I am desperate to get hold of some.

Alpha Buck

Excuse my ignorance - but what are NIC cubes?! I was going to suggest a grow bag tray as well. I currently use an underbed storage box as was neutral after our buns were bonded, but when Buster was on his own he had a growbag tray under his litter tray. My house buns just have the storage box now for litter tray and hay and they just make do, although I keep thinking I need to give them a house as well as their tunnels.

Neat Idea Cubes I think any way!

You can get mesh types ones -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY...item58b0099a14

Or the ones people use for bunnies and guinea cages I'm going for a 6x2 for when I have pigs Found a website that sell the cage and correx so less a job for me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seville-8-...item259605c743

You could get them in B&Q but I don't think they sell them now .. not sure! So no idea where they are cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Aly&Poppy<3 View Post
    Neat Idea Cubes I think any way!

You can get mesh types ones -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY...item58b0099a14

Or the ones people use for bunnies and guinea cages I'm going for a 6x2 for when I have pigs Found a website that sell the cage and correx so less a job for me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seville-8-...item259605c743

You could get them in B&Q but I don't think they sell them now .. not sure! So no idea where they are cheaper
    Liking the cubing.
    Last edited by Miss Binky Bunny; 15-10-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    "Surely such beauty deserves more food, please mummeh, can I have more?"
    Binky free my handsome, sweet Mr B. You were taken too soon but you will always be in our hearts. Wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge so we will meet again. xXx "My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today." xXx

http://www.pinterest.com/binkylapins/bunny-matters/

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Bunnykins View Post
    Katie88, can I ask, where did you get your nic cubes from? I am desperate to get hold of some.
    I bought mine off amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HN7X1O...051_TE_3p_dp_1

I shipped around but everywhere seemed to be roughly the same price. They're great, I have plenty to make a cage (if I decide to) and still loads left over for bunny proofing if I do manage to move out soon!

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin View Post
    He's got a washing up bowl as a litter tray so it's about 6" tall, no escapee wee's. You could go for a taller litter tray or maybe an underbed storage box for more hay space? Grow bag trays are like a crate tray but narrower if you wanted something like that. So many options
    *goes off to Google growbag trays...*

I think that's almost the trouble there are so many options! I'm not very inventive but I love seeing what other people do.