• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring ideas to go with NIC cubes

katie88

Mama Doe
Very long story short...I bought some NIC cubes for bunny proofing as I came very close to buying a house recently. The house has fallen through so I'm still with the folks but now have the NIC cubes anyway.

So I figured I'd replace marbles' huge dog crate with a homemade cage with the cubes. She is never locked in so I've been wanting to down size the base as she is in my bedroom and takes up so much space.

So my question is what do people use as a floor base for NIC cube type houses? Obviously the crate had a plastic base. II'm thinking just some cheap floor tiles or linoleum type thing, can anyone recommend anywhere to buy it from?

Doesn't quite answer your question, but have you thought about doing away all together and just having a box for shelter - Scamp has an 18" square cardboard box and that's his only 'cage'. You can go a bit bigger/wooden. Or just use the tray out of the dog crate and a box on that for shelter. It will seem smaller even if the floor pad is the same.

The main benefit to a cage for a free range bunny is the shelter/safe space and a cage with bars isn't that useful for that anyway.

Doesn't quite answer your question, but have you thought about doing away all together and just having a box for shelter - Scamp has an 18" square cardboard box and that's his only 'cage'. You can go a bit bigger/wooden. Or just use the tray out of the dog crate and a box on that for shelter. It will seem smaller even if the floor pad is the same.

The main benefit to a cage for a free range bunny is the shelter/safe space and a cage with bars isn't that useful for that anyway.

Interesting! I like the idea of no cage. I'd just want something to go under her litter tray in case the odd stray wee dribbles out :lol: what do you do with Scamp's litter tray?

He's got a washing up bowl as a litter tray so it's about 6" tall, no escapee wee's. You could go for a taller litter tray or maybe an underbed storage box for more hay space? Grow bag trays are like a crate tray but narrower if you wanted something like that. So many options :lol:

Excuse my ignorance - but what are NIC cubes?! I was going to suggest a grow bag tray as well. I currently use an underbed storage box as was neutral after our buns were bonded, but when Buster was on his own he had a growbag tray under his litter tray. My house buns just have the storage box now for litter tray and hay and they just make do, although I keep thinking I need to give them a house as well as their tunnels.

Neat Idea Cubes :) I think any way!

You can get mesh types ones -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...80910541332?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item58b0099a14

Or the ones people use for bunnies and guinea cages :) I'm going for a 6x2 for when I have pigs :D Found a website that sell the cage and correx so less a job for me :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seville-8...61430751043?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item259605c743

You could get them in B&Q but I don't think they sell them now .. not sure! So no idea where they are cheaper :)

Neat Idea Cubes :) I think any way!

You can get mesh types ones -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...80910541332?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item58b0099a14

Or the ones people use for bunnies and guinea cages :) I'm going for a 6x2 for when I have pigs :D Found a website that sell the cage and correx so less a job for me :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seville-8...61430751043?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item259605c743

You could get them in B&Q but I don't think they sell them now .. not sure! So no idea where they are cheaper :)

Liking the cubing.

Last edited:
He's got a washing up bowl as a litter tray so it's about 6" tall, no escapee wee's. You could go for a taller litter tray or maybe an underbed storage box for more hay space? Grow bag trays are like a crate tray but narrower if you wanted something like that. So many options :lol:

*goes off to Google growbag trays...*

I think that's almost the trouble there are so many options! I'm not very inventive but I love seeing what other people do.

Back