• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW Got any tips on Getting ready for Winter?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone got some tips to share on winter prep for outdoor housing? Maybe some photos?

Is it anyone's first winter with bunnies - any questions you've got?

It is my first winter with bunnies since 1998 ;P I've got loads of carpet offcut rolls stocked up for external hutch insulation, have fixed the hole in the roof, and I might have a go at clearing the garage tonight (as I swore quite a lot getting my bike out this morning!) in case we need to move things somewhere a bit warmer. For our human home comforts, we've plenty of wood stocked up! Haven't finished the playhouse but that might get done before Christmas...!

People with water bowls: have you tried the ping-pong ball trick to stop it freezing? We've used it in the bird bath with some success, but I wondered how it goes down with bunnies? I've got a 6" diameter 2-3" deep ceramic bowl. I'm thinking Lopsy will just play with it...

I've found winters a lot easier than I expected. Even in sub zero temperatures my water bowls didn't freeze overnight, so presumably the accommodation is warm enough to prevent that.

I used small dog kennels packed with hay inside the Wendy house/kennel last year and although I had snuggles ages I gave up using them in the end as the bunnies didn't seem to like them.

My first winter with buns in over 25 years.......... Eeks! (Back as a girl we used to bring the buns inside if memory serves me right).

The girls are outdoor rabbits, so the plan is to blanket & tarp/cover the run but when it comes to the bedroom is just adding plenty of hay enough? I've got a snugglepad for the girls but not sure where best to put it.

I do look on with envy at the house buns who have beds with fleecy blankets, but really don't know if that's a sensible option for outdoor buns.

The girls are currently 13 weeks old and un-neutered.

Heather

Straw is a bit better at insulating than hay if you want extra for winter - doesn't matter if they nibble a bit either :)

Hello all,

2 rescue rabbits have been with us for about 6 weeks now and plan is to have built a shed with insulation, lino etc by full winter then put the hutch inside with extra winter protection like the heat pad and extra straw and hay. I like the wooden box idea! :-D For now i've brought the hutch hugger and waterproof cover but can't really tell at the moment how useful that is as the hutch is by the back door under a plastic roof (where grapevines thrive, but would be bad in summer as it's like a greenhouse.) I guess that would be good for winter but I do want them safe in a shed and run set-up.

I did read on a thread someone placed the waterbottle into a plastic plant pot with a hole for the spout and that it worked well, so I was going to try that (not sure if they filled the plant pot with straw maybe?)

I did read on a thread someone placed the waterbottle into a plastic plant pot with a hole for the spout and that it worked well, so I was going to try that (not sure if they filled the plant pot with straw maybe?)

I've never heard of that but I imagine that'd be very effective if filled with straw etc. If you get a large bottle with a top opening spout it'd be even easier as larger bodies of water freeze less easily than smaller ones, and you only need to open the top to check/fill it up!

I've never heard of that but I imagine that'd be very effective if filled with straw etc. If you get a large bottle with a top opening spout it'd be even easier as larger bodies of water freeze less easily than smaller ones, and you only need to open the top to check/fill it up!

Ah cool, do you have any links to see those? Sounds stupid but I just have a few of the ones you get in pet shops with the ball end and the twist off top to fill. Thanks! :)

I like the Ezi Filer (not sure if that's spelt right) bottles. Having two is handy if they do freeze as well so you can leave one inside to defrost and give them the spare, otherwise you are trying to knock ice out and it takes ages :lol:

I like the Ezi Filer (not sure if that's spelt right) bottles. Having two is handy if they do freeze as well so you can leave one inside to defrost and give them the spare, otherwise you are trying to knock ice out and it takes ages :lol:

I definitely recommend the ezi-filla too, I have the 1L version. http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productdetail.page.xml&productid=22 The plastic is more like a thick milk ottle material than the brittle plastics which a lot of bottles are made of, so you can easily drop this one and it doesn't shatter :D The spout also gives a really good blow of water, and doesn't leak (although I can't compare it to many other bottles with that type of nib as I haven't tried them).

I definitely agree about having two - you can have one ready prepared to pop out in the morning, bung the cold one in a bowl of warm water and head off to work. It'll be defrosted by home time :D Much easier :D

Mine had snuggle safes last year and were fine. The water didn't freeze so we didn't use the bottle covers and they still spent a lot of time in the run (by choice)

Hoping for another mild winter - but also for snow as I want to see their reaction!!

Have stocked up on straw for their bedroom to keep them a bit warmer than hay and have snuggles safes ready but will see how it goes

If it's supercold and they look sad will maybe bring them in (and keep them as house bunnies forever!!)

we use the ezi filler water bottle and it didn't freeze at all last year. I was worried about winter but my bun Hest seems to struggle more with heat in summer than cold, he loves the snow and likes to sit out in the rain (even though he can go back uncover whenever he likes!) :lol:

we just put water proof covers over the run, and instead of his single piece of fleece bed in his hutch I will be getting him a new bigger winter bed with lots of warm material that he can climb right inside. We used snugglesafe that you microwave last year but he didn't seem to like it never saw him sitting on it. might end up buying a couple of winter beds see which one he likes best he is quite fussy :roll::thumb:

In the past (for the hutch) I have put a layer of straw on the floor and then cardboard on top for insulation. I also recall lining the walls in a similar way - think we used an industrial style staple gun to fix it.

These days the rabbits live in a kennel/run and I don't think it is quite as cold. In fact even in the old days, despite all the wintering stuff I use to do, they would sit outside anyway. Think a few people have said similar.

I think provided they are dry and draft free, rabbits cope very well with the cold. The thought they are cold bothers us more than the bunnies :)

Water freezing is another issue and can be a problem. Just have to make sure it is regularly checked and changed.

The logistics is often a faff with frozen water pipes etc. I also make sure I have a stack of litter trays prepared (just paper lining and hay), so that I can get everything done quickly.

I have found over the last 3 winters that if i totally cover the runs with thick builders polythene weighted down with slabs to prevent it blowing off in the gales.. The run is unbelievably warmer than the shed.

I found By doing this and leaving only a tiny gap overnight, the buns managed really well , even in -10 temperatures.. I put a boiling hot snugglesafe under their waterbowl and out a ping pong ball in the water and it helped it to stay liquid for buns to drink.

My hutch when i had it was in the shed and totally stuffed with straw, this along with double thickness cardboard boxes stuffed with hay and straw. The buns managed really really well....

We are half way through using waterproof decking oil on the bunny chalet roofs and sides to make sure all the wood is water and rot resistant. Do it every autumn and it makes sure that damp dies not soak into the wood. The housing stays warmer and lasts longer.

Those using straw make sure that it does not have too muCh grain still on it. It was another dry year so a lot of stalks were too short for the grain heads were missed by the combines meaning it's still in the straw. Can result in bloating.

In the past (for the hutch) I have put a layer of straw on the floor and then cardboard on top for insulation. I also recall lining the walls in a similar way - think we used an industrial style staple gun to fix it.

These days the rabbits live in a kennel/run and I don't think it is quite as cold. In fact even in the old days, despite all the wintering stuff I use to do, they would sit outside anyway. Think a few people have said similar.

I think provided they are dry and draft free, rabbits cope very well with the cold. The thought they are cold bothers us more than the bunnies :)

Water freezing is another issue and can be a problem. Just have to make sure it is regularly checked and changed.

The logistics is often a faff with frozen water pipes etc. I also make sure I have a stack of litter trays prepared (just paper lining and hay), so that I can get everything done quickly.

I think you're right you know. The first winter mine were out they were outside I my bedroom window and whenever I went to be did see them out there, sitting in the run at night and I wouldn't sleep and would have to keep getting up to check on them and they'd still be sat there looking perfectly content and driving me crazy! :lol:

Back