• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it normal to have lots of humping with bonding?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Basically I have a neutered rabbit Jack and he has a new friend, Henriette. But she isn't spayed. So she is now harassing him to hump her. And all day has been a big hump fest. Is this normal? I'm getting her spayed very soon but I wanted her to settle in first.

She is probably being led by her hormones esp with her handsome new partner to tempt her. Should settle once she has been spayed for a few weeks.

Some humping is normal as they try to sort out who is going to be in charge.

Yes, completely normal. Especially where one isn't neutered. It WILL eventually stop but just make sure the 'humpee' isn't getting hacked-off by the 'humper' as it can occasionally lead to fighting. My hand was terribly abused and violated :shock: when I had to keep getting in between Benji (the humper) and the two girls (humpees). I carried on letting him hump them as someone needed to be dominant but made sure he wasn't actually *ahem* touching them with his little bunny poking stick :oops::lol:. It was actually quite vile but had to be done :roll:.

ok good. I was getting worried. It seems Henriette is half the time the one that instigates it. Jack tries to go away and she will chase him and put her butt his way. Sometimes I just have to leave. It is too much! LOL.

How long should I wait before I spay her? I don't want to distrupt their bonding. I only brought her home 3 days ago.

With the benefit of hindsight, it probably would have been best to neuter her before introductions because you're now going to have to separate them again to have her done. However, with that in mind, I'd let them continue their bonding for 2-3 months so that they have a good bond before separating. You're then going to have to start the bonding process again once she's fully recovered from her operation. If you push her too soon, she'll be sore and grumpy and the bonding won't go well.

Of course, there is the option to stop the current bonding process and get her neutered asap. Then you'll only have to go through the process once.

my first pair of buns are litter mates. he was neutered at four months, but she was too young. over the next few months she became increasingly distressed, offering herself to him, demanding sex, and not getting very far at all. eventually she went into nesting mode and started ripping all the fur off her chest, poor mite. do have your girl spayed as soon as you can. its pitiful to see that.

Thanks for the information. Darn, I should have waited then. I think I'll leave it now for 3 months and then have her spayed. As long as she doesn't seem in distress etc. She is apparently afraid of heights! I kept finding her on top of the cage on the blankets and she wouldn't come down. I had to set up a ramp. Then she bounded down so happily and was binkying around! I keep forgetting how short she is compared to Jack. teehee.

Back