• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing project and fox proofing

louise200

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

We're partway into our rescue bunnies outdoor housing and I want to make sure it's as predator proof as possible so all info, tips, observations and comments welcome, thanks.
It's going to be a shed and access to the run, on a concrete base, with a tunnel to another run on the grass for when we are around to supervise.. I want them to have constant access to the main run if possible, but option to secure them in the shed too. I don't want the tunnel to be weak, wrong etc.
It's using a ex carp pond site that's built into decking and railway sleeper borders, so it'll be enclosed by those on 3 sides and hopefully just front and top of the run to secure as well as shed door and window. We are right onto countryside so foxes will eventually stumble onto them I'm sure. I've read a lot of the threads on housing and fox attacks, all really useful!
I'll attach the pic of the site, before concrete base and add progress on too :) x

Trying to add pictures. Not done this before.. :)

So this is site, looks a mess doesn't it.

Last edited:

A bigger view to show countryside in the background, there's a footpath running behind fencing next to the garden (just to make it easy for them to get in..!)

Concrete base is going in sometime this week. Going to order a nice strong shed, probably 7ft by 8 ft if that size exists, as I don't want to leave thin gaps..

Last edited:
Wow, you live in a really beautiful area! And yes, I see how you'd REALLY need fox proofing there!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes. :D

Great idea you have :wave:
I'm doing a similar project at mo...shed and attached run on a concrete base with a grass run attached for use whilst I'm outside.
We live on the edge of the Peak District, so plenty foxes.
Sounds like you have the right ideas so far.. :)
Am hoping to have my set up finished in next few weeks, am taking pics of our progress as we work...getting them ready to upload.
I reckon you are doing great so far.
I insulating the buns shed at mo, and trying to figure a way that I will be truly comfortable sleeping at night with them having 24/7 access to attached run.. like you, with option of securing shed separate if & when needed.

No one is ever really alone on their mission, unless they want to be.
Best of luck. Keep posting.
X

Last edited:
Thanks everyone :)

I'd love to see pics of your setup BunnyMagics! Wow Peak District, so yes lots of them about too. I was wondering about using a dog crate car carrier i have to make night gates on the front of the run, so foxes can't even start on the wood and mesh. But I guess it's during the day too like in winter when they food is limited.. I'll insulate too, I was wondering about the concrete base, what, if anything, to put down for them, or is concrete fine?
X

Concrete is fine unless you've got rexes or rabbits prone to sore hocks :) With something that big you could go for different surfaces to give them options eg have a digging pit with soil or an area of rubber mating, maybe a wooden platform for sitting off the floor in winter.

Well I think I was a bit keen (and this pouring rain has allowed a good test of the S & N hutch hugger and cover ;-) )

So we set them up in the massive run on new concrete base, with waterproof house, hay box, toys, pellets and litter etc. Covered some of it with tarps and came back to find them rather wet and not using the dry areas at all. Also the incline on the base is a slow drainer so it's more like a waterpark (and ice rink in winter i'd imagine :-O ) in there. Plan was/is to add a proper solid roof to 2/3 leaving a sun (rain) spot 1/3 at the end near the grass (with tunnel onto grass run for supervised playing and munching.)

But I need to stop being overkeen and wait for it to be finished! :oops: Have moved the hutch back onto the decking next to the back door which is under a sort of outside room, so I can still clean them out with ease in this bad weather.

Bit disappointed though as the base was laid exactly 10 foot and the run (albeit fantastic quality and very sturdy) turns out is 10 foot + 4.5 inches, so theres a decent sized gap along the bottom. I can't face more cementing/faffing with bricks or anything so we might well now use the top of the run panels (and the extra 2 foot panels that makes it 10 foot long) to raise it higher by 2ft. So that with the solid roof we'll add it will be more like aviary and shed than shed and 3ft high run attached. Run will be 8ft and 4.5 inches long lol. Thats still good I think but sad that it's not the megarun I wanted. I do want a taller space and (as is usual for me) got it wrong. I should have ordered an aviary/shed or kennel for the space - aaaargh ;-) I gather constant work in progress is the norm for a lot of us on here hehehehe.

Next stop order a good shed, any recommendations? I'd love to commision an awesome shed but it's not the right time now that it'll only go in around Christmas i'd imagine. Brrrrr ;)

I have discovered things advertised as '# feet' tend to be a bit out because while they're advertised in imperial measurements we all understand, it's all measured in metric so there's a bit more added on (not usually shorter)!

Oh, and I know all about constant WIP, yes :D You've made a fantastic start, keep going!

Ah thanks :-D

Yeah and I missed that it was internal measurement (more room for buns!) They company have been great I should add.

It's going to be fab :thumb: you could maybe add more panels to make the run bigger :thumb:

I feel like we need diagrams :lol:

Would it not be less would just to add a row of bricks?

Or, if you wanted to go crazy, off set it more so the run overhung by say 18" and put a digging pit (lined with mesh at the end), and just pretend it was deliberate :)

Thanks everyone :)

I'd love to see pics of your setup BunnyMagics! Wow Peak District, so yes lots of them about too. I was wondering about using a dog crate car carrier i have to make night gates on the front of the run, so foxes can't even start on the wood and mesh. But I guess it's during the day too like in winter when they food is limited.. I'll insulate too, I was wondering about the concrete base, what, if anything, to put down for them, or is concrete fine?
X

Hi, just caught up with the thread...well...it's a long story, but my buns main run is now on (already existing ) concrete too... The foxes get 'very very very' up here, so I've decided on the same as you...still have the grass run attached, but don't want to leave mine in it after dark....will be 4 pm over winter. Has been a bit of a battle to move the entire kit...lining the concrete with a wooden deck type of thing..homemade, so water can run underneath the wood.
I'm double meshing the run sides, and am using see thru heavy duty plastic sheeting on the rainward sides...am outside every 5 mins at mo...with my Buns moved..tis all new for them, even tho it's the same garden.

Exhausting isn't it...but all good. Will post pics asap and keep following yr thread :thumb:

Hi, it's really weird...I've been slowly making & making use of decking tiles to line the concrete of my bun's run...
so they don't have to sit on the cold wet concrete...yet our Ferni like to sit on the wet concrete NEXT to the warm decking tiles...odd our Bunnies. But, like we've said in past, they are extraordinary creatures and she'll probably use the decking when she needs too :?

Hi, it's really weird...I've been slowly making & making use of decking tiles to line the concrete of my bun's run...
so they don't have to sit on the cold wet concrete...yet our Ferni like to sit on the wet concrete NEXT to the warm decking tiles...odd our Bunnies. But, like we've said in past, they are extraordinary creatures and she'll probably use the decking when she needs too :?

Ah what a great idea of using decking tiles! I might try the same and see what they like best. And rubber matting too. is concrete is cool or warm in summer? I like you just want them to enjoy it and be secure and still so concerned about foxes, grrrrrr!

I cannot wait to see your photos! I think I spend a little too much time looking at all the housing pics, hehe :)

I'm still so unsure of what to do. As I've realised I'll really miss them once they are down the end of the garden. I think it's made worse by the way the garden is setup (all by previous owners.) But there's this long area of decking going down to where their new setup is (where there used to be the pond) and they have a big strong sheet of glass for I guess admiring the fish etc, on end of decking. So I'm thinking there's loads of options for what to do. I was think today, I could add a long line of runaround tube in those metal runs they do and actually screw that down onto decking so it's really secure. Then they could stay by the back door permanently in their hutch but go right along and down a ramp into their run. and I could actually extend the run even more. I'll add pic so you can see (there's me assuming this is as interesting to you and everyone else as it is to me, hehe.)

X

I feel like we need diagrams :lol:

Would it not be less would just to add a row of bricks?

Or, if you wanted to go crazy, off set it more so the run overhung by say 18" and put a digging pit (lined with mesh at the end), and just pretend it was deliberate :)

Ooh good idea. But I was also thinking about using the border behind the run that's all in railway sleepers to fit a safe digging pit in there in between the plants :-D I checked and is safe for them what's in there. Perhaps a tad too ambitious haha. It probably sounds crazy all this but it's something to do with all the existing stuff in the garden here I'm thinking. I mean people enjoy their gardens and I enjoy bunnies enjoying the garden :)

My parents think I've lost the plot :)

I like both idea, the tunnel along the decking sounds very secure and you'd get a good view of them play. You could always have a covered section half way down to give them a bit of shelter mid way. When I had outdoor bunnies the run was right in front of the patio doors for easy watching - that's half the fun of having bunnies after all!

Back