• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

Mrsbee

Young Bun
I'm having real problems trying to litter train my bunnies... They literally poop everywhere, I've put the litter tray where the main droppings are and yet they'll still do their business right next to it. Any suggestions?

Are they spayed/neutered? If they aren't, that would improve things a lot. Have they recently arrived/or their accomodation been changed? Territorial marking can account for a lot of stray poops. Is the tray large enough for them all to sit in at the same time? I like the underbed storage boxes for trays as they are larger and have higher sides than cat litter trays and stops them from spaying over the edge. Do you have plenty of hay in the litter box? They like to eat and poop at the same time! You may need to provide more than one tray, my quad have the big underbed box and 2 smaller trays.
Sweeping up poos regularly and putting them into the tray would help too

Are they spayed/neutered? If they aren't, that would improve things a lot. Have they recently arrived/or their accomodation been changed? Territorial marking can account for a lot of stray poops. Is the tray large enough for them all to sit in at the same time? I like the underbed storage boxes for trays as they are larger and have higher sides than cat litter trays and stops them from spaying over the edge. Do you have plenty of hay in the litter box? They like to eat and poop at the same time! You may need to provide more than one tray, my quad have the big underbed box and 2 smaller trays.
Sweeping up poos regularly and putting them into the tray would help too

This :thumb:

Plus I think some bunnies are just naturally tidier than others.

I adopted a new rabbit last month and I had the same problem. All our other rabbits don't have this problem before so it's probably anxiety that's causing her to poop more often and almost everywhere she goes. What Zoobec suggested totally works. She's comfortable with the others now and I think she's happier than before.

Thanks for the replies, they aren't neutered/spade yet as they are not old enough but peanut ( my boy) has his appointment. I have put lots of poops in there and actually from looking around the room the majority or in their cage rather than their room. I think I'll do like Zoobec said and just keep at it :) thanks for the help xx

Back