• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do females do this?

Emmy131

New Kit
Both of my female rabbits will wee and poop in the enclosed area with the shavings, and then scatter and push it everywhere meaning I have to clean the hutch out almost every 3/4 days!! But it's only my females that do this? My male goes in the litter tray!

How do I litter train them?!

Tarja started doing it. She even worked out it was bad and would run and hide and make it look like Axl had made the mess if I walked out on her doing it (she was known to stop mid fling and be like "THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE!"!)

The only way to stop her was to attach all the trays to the floor. But I never worked out why she started doing it.

She was such a clean bunny she was known to run the entire length of the garden to go for a wee inside the tray inside the hutch... :/

When were they spayed? It took about 2 months post spay for my girls to improve. Have they recently arrived/or their accomodation been changed? Territorial marking can account for a lot of stray poops. Is the tray large enough for them all to sit in at the same time? I like the underbed storage boxes for trays as they are larger and have higher sides than cat litter trays and stops them from spaying over the edge. Do you have plenty of hay in the litter box? They like to eat and poop at the same time! You may need to provide more than one tray. Sweeping up poos regularly and putting them into the tray would help too. Also it would help if you have just Lino/rubber floor or similar on the floor of the hutch, and only have the hay and newspaper or wood pellet cat litter or similar in the litter trays, it's less confusing for them :thumb:

Back