• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Time bonder!...

Resh42

New Kit
Hi Guys :)

I am a first time rabbit owner and have two neutered/spayed rabbits, Jassy and Joey! Currently Jas lives in a shed and Joey has a hutch. They have both been spayed/neutered and am now ready to begin bonding them. My issue is I have no idea what so ever where to start!? they have met through wire a couple of times and Jas tries to rub her face over Joey but that's as far as they have got to meeting...

Can anyone help me on how to bond them? where to start? time periods they should be together? behaviour that I should look for being that good or bad?

Thanks

:)

You will need to introduce them in an area where neither has been before. Try to choose a day or weekend when you have lots of time in which to keep a close eye on them. You can use an enclosure or run but it should be somewhere they can remain in for at least 3 days. Indoors is best then you can listen out for any quarrels they might have. It will depend on how they are getting on as to whether you feel they will be ok being left overnight. If you are not confident then you can return them to their original accommodation for the first night unless you can sleep close by. In 3 days they should have got used to one another and be starting to bond.

The females are usually the more territorial of the 2 so you will need to give the shed a good clean out so that it doesn't smell too much of her as I assume they will be living there. When you put them in the bonding space put the buck in first.

All of the above :thumb:. From personal experience, a completely neutral, small space, where you can sit and sleep (if necessary) with them for at least 2-3 days. I start with a very small space where there's no space to run. If one rabbit runs, it can lead to a chase, which can lead to nipping/biting and a fight. Once they're ok in a small space, increase the pen size little by little. Don't be tempted to increase size too quickly.

I usually set aside a week to bond bunnies, although it can be much quicker (or longer), depending on the bunnies! I make sure I start the bonding in a space where I can sleep alongside them on a lilo to keep watch overnight as I feel it's best to keep them together once the bonding process has been started. It isn't always practically possible but it does tend to lengthen the process if you keep separating them as they almost have to 'start over' each time you put them back together again.

Remember, a little chasing, nipping and fur pulling is pretty normal. Positive signs are grooming each other, sitting/laying alongside each other and ignoring each other. If you get mutual grooming, you're pretty much there :thumb:. When you're ready to move them back to their permanent accommodation, be ready to take a step backwards as they'll be trying to establish territory again. This is especially true if you're putting the bunnies back into an existing partner's hutch/shed. If I do this, I make sure the accommodation is scrubbed clean and neutralised with a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution. Then I place the bonding crate in the shed/hutch and place both bunnies in it. Leave them in that until they're calm and accepting, then gradually increase the space again, as if you were bonding from scratch. It shouldn't take long but it's important you don't think "oh, they're bonded" and plop them straight back into a hutch.

Best of luck and remember we're here to offer advice and help.

Back