• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello everyone :-D

louise200

Alpha Buck
Hi All, i've just joined and have very quickly become all things bunny OBSESSED since adopting 2 brothers who we've named Perry and Basil ;) from a local rescue. They are something over 1 year old, delightful, gorgeous and a little bit nervous lops (but not sure what exact breed) They are doing very well after their castration op and are getting used to me now and they sniff noses with our two female cats through their run, it's lovely :)
I am badgering my poor other half to finish prepping the ground for their main enclosure which will be the two story hutch then a 10ft by 6.5ft by 3ft tall run that we're adding an apex wooden roof onto, which i'll connect up to their smaller run on the grass with the tunnels for when we are around to supervise. Garden is in front of farmland with big copse of trees so I am going crazy with predator proofing it all (having said that we've not seen 1 fox at all in the village compared to the many we saw when living in the town - but I am sure they must be out there.) I'll add a big shed for them next year once we know the ground level isn't going to sink - as their site is where we took out a large pond which was built into tall decking and railway sleeper borders. So they'll be enclosed by decking/borders on two sides and I think i'll put some strong picket fencing along the rest so they can see out but it's yet more secure hopefully. Oh and I am adding shutters on their double hutch for the night too. Once it's all set-up I think i'll keep adding tunnels to eventually allow them around the whole garden, as it's got all sorts of different levels and open/wooded areas and I think they'd love that. But I need to get a feel for the security of it all. Anyway hello and bye for now. Love this forum! :) xx

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you have bunny heaven there but you do right in getting to know the garden before letting bunnies go everywhere.

hello.

i've just joined and have very quickly become all things bunny OBSESSED

yes, that's how it works. takes about ten years to wear off, i believe....:lol::lol::lol:

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: they sound like they are very lucky bunnies with the setup you have planned. Don't forget to either slab the bottom of the run or put weldmesh down under the grass to stop them digging out or predators digging in :thumb:

Totally fab! Yes, we are all bunny obsessed! :thumb:
That's why my user name is 'Bunny Magics "... cos I sing to them everyday about how magic they are :love: :oops: :D
Sounds like you have fab ideas / plans. Mine are 10 months old and moving into their 'Bunny Ranch' next week...oooh, so excited, fun, fun, fun. With the silky bunny magic treasures :love:

And yes, they've changed my life, it will never be as boring as it was, ever again :thumb:
Totally great forum...I adore the diet & digestion / health / housing threads.... X

Ah thanks guys! :) I love how obsessed we all are. They are just so delightful and they don't hurt anyone. It breaks my heart to hear about sad lonely buns with no space, but I guess we just give ours the best we can. I'd love to bond more rescues in with my two when their enclosure is finished and they are settled, but i'll get some advice as I don't want to cause any stress and they are two boys from same litter so not sure if that will work. But I think a small group would be lovely for them all.
Thanks for the advice re the enclosure. Plan is to lay slabs over half where we'll add the solid roof, then bury mesh under turf for the other end where I can let the sun get on it to keep it alive, hopefully. I might also add the shed sooner rather than later as I am already laying awake at night worrying about them, hehe. I'll have a read of all the threads on housing and bonding and get more tips :-D xx

Welcome to the forum. I have bonded two litter brothers with two litter sisters (my only bond) and its going great one year on.

I love the sound of your set up. Pics would be great when you get the chance.

Ah really, thats encouraging to hear, thanks. I've read the posts about bonding more rabbits with a pair and need to make sure it's really right. I just want the best for these two who really are so sweet. Now they've been neutered the mounting has completely stopped and they are just happy, silly, cuddling up to each other and now they sniff my nose and nudge my hand when we are chilling out 'swoon' :-D x

Aw they're gorgeous and it sounds like they are going to have a fab home. Beware the forum though - it eats time!!! :lol:

Back