• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

River Run - A Shed Build Blog

This is such a great set up :) I love the little ramp! <3 I'm considering extending our aviary and this has really inspired me. I bet your buns are in utter heaven!

For those who don't know, we sadly lost Ernie last week. :cry: Whilst I know we gave him a much better life than most rabbits have, I still feel bad because we had all these plans to make their aviary a fun rabbit playground but we hadn't finished so Ernie never got to properly use it. :(

Sooooo . . . I've been eyeing up the aviary and trying to think of the best ways to maximise the space, as it still seems very empty to me. We were planning on putting in a ramp and a ledge but I'm now thinking that buns would prefer more places to hide etc, especially being outdoors. With this is mind, we've created a layout concept using Manor Pet Housing stuff. It will run around two full sides of the aviary and connect nicely to the current dig box. The bad news is that it's going to cost around £500 (!!!) for all of it so I'll likely be buying it in stages, one or two bits at a time. Even so, I'm determined to get it done this year, so Eric and his future wifebun can make full use of it!

For those who don't know, we sadly lost Ernie last week. :cry: Whilst I know we gave him a much better life than most rabbits have, I still feel bad because we had all these plans to make their aviary a fun rabbit playground but we hadn't finished so Ernie never got to properly use it. :(

Sooooo . . . I've been eyeing up the aviary and trying to think of the best ways to maximise the space, as it still seems very empty to me. We were planning on putting in a ramp and a ledge but I'm now thinking that buns would prefer more places to hide etc, especially being outdoors. With this is mind, we've created a layout concept using Manor Pet Housing stuff. It will run around two full sides of the aviary and connect nicely to the current dig box. The bad news is that it's going to cost around £500 (!!!) for all of it so I'll likely be buying it in stages, one or two bits at a time. Even so, I'm determined to get it done this year, so Eric and his future wifebun can make full use of it!

I was so sorry to hear about Ernie :cry: I’m sure they have loved all the binky space they have had. The new things sound amazing:thumb:

So, now that Eric is off having dates at the rabbit rescue, I was all set to start doing a full top to bottom clean out and sterilise of the shed and aviary.

Of course, typically, it's dark and grey outside, with lots of rain AND blowing a gale! :roll:

In better news, I sowed this years grass trays with oat grass and dandelions the other day so in a month or two the buns will be able to tuck into that.

Also, as much as I love our aviary, I do find it very barren. When we built it, we were keen to go for the "natural" look so it's all logs and brown painted wood, which has ended up looking a LOT more dull than I imagined. I guess it would look better in a run that was turfed rather than grey concrete paving. So, I've been trying to find a way to bring in some colour and yesterday I found some window boxes that will work perfectly hooked onto the sides of the aviary! I'm going to plant them up with a mixture of herbs and flowering edible plants like nasturtiums, peas and strawberries. It should look pretty and all be edible by both us and the buns. :D

A few little additions to the shed and aviary this week.

My OH found some brilliant battery powered LED strip lights on Amazon so we installed three of those and it's like daylight in the shed at night now! :D

I've also added some plant pots to the aviary. It makes it look a bit nicer and will look even better when we have flowers/veg/fruit later on.

This side has some herbs and nasturtiums:

On the other side we have pea plants on the left and strawberries on the right.

I'm going to let both the peas and the nasturtiums trail down so the buns can nibble on them if they get too long. :D

In other exciting news, I ordered our first few bits of Manor Pet Housing stuff yesterday. Apparently lead time can be up to eight weeks, which isn't great when you're impatient like me! :lol:

A few little additions to the shed and aviary this week.

My OH found some brilliant battery powered LED strip lights on Amazon so we installed three of those and it's like daylight in the shed at night now! :D

I've also added some plant pots to the aviary. It makes it look a bit nicer and will look even better when we have flowers/veg/fruit later on.

This side has some herbs and nasturtiums:

On the other side we have pea plants on the left and strawberries on the right.

I'm going to let both the peas and the nasturtiums trail down so the buns can nibble on them if they get too long. :D

In other exciting news, I ordered our first few bits of Manor Pet Housing stuff yesterday. Apparently lead time can be up to eight weeks, which isn't great when you're impatient like me! :lol:

Wow, this all looks amazing! The lights are such a good idea. We have a solar powered light in our bun shed and it's so useful in the evening :D

Which MPH items did you order? I've been eyeing their hay feeders up for a while (the ones with the cirles cut out of the wood, as my buns are hopeless with the jail-bar type). Their products look such good quality.

Which MPH items did you order? I've been eyeing their hay feeders up for a while (the ones with the cirles cut out of the wood, as my buns are hopeless with the jail-bar type). Their products look such good quality.

Their stuff is gorgeous, isn't it! We want to create a big castle/fort/bridge/tunnel setup in the aviary. I did some calculations of what we needed for it and promptly had a heart attack at the price! :lol: :lol:

For now I've ordered a corner fort, ramp and bit of tunnel. :D

OH won't let me buy it all in one go as we're currently saving for a BIG holiday later this year so can't really take £500 out of our savings.

My solution has been a wardrobe/cupboard clear out and eBay! All the money from things I eBay is going into the "bunny castle fund"!

Their stuff is gorgeous, isn't it! We want to create a big castle/fort/bridge/tunnel setup in the aviary. I did some calculations of what we needed for it and promptly had a heart attack at the price! :lol: :lol:

For now I've ordered a corner fort, ramp and bit of tunnel. :D

OH won't let me buy it all in one go as we're currently saving for a BIG holiday later this year so can't really take £500 out of our savings.

My solution has been a wardrobe/cupboard clear out and eBay! All the money from things I eBay is going into the "bunny castle fund"!

I'm doing just this right now, although to save for a bedroom renovation. I managed to sell a sideboard (which was too big and we had hardly anything stored in it) for £200 on eBay - we bought it on Gumtree for £40 only a year ago! I've managed to raise quite a bit so far from clothes, furniture and other items we don't need. It's amazing how much you can make and it feels so good to declutter :)

My first MPH order arrived today! :D So exciting and it's MASSIVE! :shock:

We want to paint it up nicely so it will probably be a couple of weeks before it goes into the aviary.

TlqtIbV.jpg

My first MPH order arrived today! :D So exciting and it's MASSIVE! :shock:

We want to paint it up nicely so it will probably be a couple of weeks before it goes into the aviary.

TlqtIbV.jpg
Oooooooo [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] what colour? :D

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Loving it :thumb:

was looking at some for the livingroom. My daughter has her eye on the MPH desk but at £260 Iv said to her she needs to put 10% towards it befor I even consider it. Mind you they arnt even free roaming quiet yet.

Will love to see your fort when it’s painted :D

Loving it :thumb:

was looking at some for the livingroom. My daughter has her eye on the MPH desk but at £260 Iv said to her she needs to put 10% towards it befor I even consider it. Mind you they arnt even free roaming quiet yet.

Will love to see your fort when it’s painted :D
I knowww pricey!

There's so much I wanna get for the bunny room Idk whether to start buying some bits now or not [emoji38]

I knowww pricey!

There's so much I wanna get for the bunny room Idk whether to start buying some bits now or not [emoji38]

I would start saving at least now :lol:

Do MPH do paint options? I might save and get it for Xmas but Madame is mad for pink :lol: and figuring it’s an all female house it shouldn’t be a problem replacing her current work desk.

Having to rethink the livingroom though as it looks bigger then on the website

Ordered the next couple of bits today! A two tier castle and a bridge to link it to the fort. :D

what colour? :D

My OH has decided to get creative and he's going to paint it to look like a stone castle! We'll do the same with the other bits as and when we get them so in the end the buns will have a whole castle keep! :lol:

Ordered the next couple of bits today! A two tier castle and a bridge to link it to the fort. :D

My OH has decided to get creative and he's going to paint it to look like a stone castle! We'll do the same with the other bits as and when we get them so in the end the buns will have a whole castle keep! [emoji38]
Oooooo you have to upload pics when they're done!

My OH has decided to get creative and he's going to paint it to look like a stone castle! We'll do the same with the other bits as and when we get them so in the end the buns will have a whole castle keep! :lol:

That sounds amazing :thumb:

Thank you for the paint recommendation. Will take a look into it :D

Back