• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

River Run - A Shed Build Blog

Looking amazing. I had a real good read through the entire thread :oops: sadly some of the pictures are missing (I guess due to photobucket)
Oops thanks, I thought I'd fixed them all, will go back and check again!

Did you end up keeping the other non-bunny sections as planned, i.e offices/studios?
Yup, we did. The second shed is split in half, one part is my OH's workshop and the other half is currently storage but will eventually be my art/craft studio. :D

Spent a productive day fence painting today. The fence behind where the aviary is going needed staining and, as we won't be able to get to it once the aviary is up, it has to be done this week. It's going dark brown, same as the sheds (and all our other fencing, buildings, gates etc). Fingers crossed, the aviary will be done next weekend, or fairly close anyway. :D

More progress on the aviary this weekend! OH has been working like a maniac. Thankfully he enjoys doing stuff like this though. :)

Most of the frame is up now. Just securing and painting to go.

yMLSl4x.jpg

This gives an idea of the eventual floor area:

yjo1Zq8.jpg

The run will be nice and protected from both bad weather and sun as it's sided by sheds on two sides and half-sided by a fence at the back. The roof will be clear corrugated plastic. The front and back will be open mesh.

I've just read the whole thread too :lol: I'm exhausted. So lovely seeing their fab set up, the photos are ace & showing now. Lucky boys

With rebonding the boys yesterday, we didn't get much time to work on the aviary but OH has managed to do a bit more. The roof is now on! We've used opaque corrugated sheeting. It's great because it still lets the sun through but diffuses it a little.

mpq9WPw.jpg

The mesh has only been added to the bottom half so far and OH is currently making the door. :D

ljjGZtE.jpg

Aaaand it's finished!!! :D :D :D

Currently the buns aren't using it though . . . Eric will go out but Ernie has lost confidence since losing his eye and chickens out at the cat flap every time. :( Since Eric won't leave Ernie alone for long, neither of them are are going out. It's a bit sparsely furnished at the moment, so that probably isn't helping either. We have some exciting enrichment plans, some of which we are hoping to do this weekend, so will see if that helps. :D

BFWfVlO.jpg

47mJelG.jpg

kJAY9S9.jpg

XVQq1G6.jpg

It looks amazing :) Hopefully their confidence will grow in time.

Bit of a different situation, but a while back we linked up our shed with a runaround tunnel and our rabbits were having none of it. I tried putting one of them into the tunnel she froze just a little way down, we thought maybe she was too big and had got stuck and had visions of having to cut it open some how. But she was actually just afraid and rooted to the spot. Now she whizzes through no problem :) x

Up until the weekend we'd been having issues getting Ernie to go outside. Even with the cat flap taped open he was still too nervous so on Saturday we physically took him out there and sprinkled lots of herbs and pellets around the aviary. That seemed to do the trick in showing him it wasn't so big and scary out there and within a couple of hours he was racing in and out of the shed without a worry.

We've also added a few more activities to the aviary now, including a big digging box that my OH made for them (I still need to take some photos). Well, they absolutely LOVE it and have been valiantly attempting to dig to China. :lol: I caught Eric in there yesterday morning having a dig, then binky, then dig, then binky and so on. He looked so happy. :D We are planning to put in another level/shelf for them too so they can get a bit higher up if they want. That's a couple of weeks away though as we have dogs next door until this weekend and we didn't want to put the buns directly in the dogs line of sight (the fence isn't very high). Once the pups are gone then the buns can have their outside "raised deck" area. :lol:

Still haven't got round to adding a second level in the aviary yet (busy extending our own house!) but here is the dig box (which they love!). :D

Nx5LQWl.jpg

Back