• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Struggling to syringe feed...and any other advice?

daffodil.lemurs

Warren Scout
Otto had a bout of stasis 2 1/2 weeks ago ,molar spurs were found and he had a dental. X-rays were done and nothing abnormal detected. He started eating and drinking properly about a week after initial symptoms. He was bonded last weekend and it went very smoothly and it's like they've never been apart.
He stopped eating again so I took him to the vets. The felt his stomach which was doughy and not tender, he had normal gut sounds. They checked his ears which had no problems and they had a little look in his mouth and all seemed fine from what they could see. They have taken bloods for EC and sent him home with Critical Care.

I've been popping him on a towel on the kitchen counter to emulate the vets as he's always very well behaved for them. I am syringing very small amounts at a time (0.2-0.3mls) into his mouth but he doesn't swallow straight away. He holds it in his mouth for what feels like forever before eventually swallowing a small amount but some does get dribbled back out. Should I persist with the syringe feeding or does this sound like I should get him back to the vets.

And also, I lost a previous bun to EC, she deteriorated very quickly and after 4 days of treatment she was having seizures that lasted up to 10 minutes and wasn't really coming round from them, I unfortunately had to have her put to sleep. I can't go through that again :cry: does that sound unusual for EC or is that what I can come to expect?
Thanks

What size is he? Are you syringing a bit more once he swallows the first gulp, and so on? With mine you can do this until they stop swallowing at all, or you've got enough into them, if that makes sense? I find they always tend to dribble some of it out, but if they're swallowing some then that's a good start.

I find it easier holding either of my two on my lap to syringe feed them, but my guys are quite small and I'm aware that would be impossible with a larger bunny.

Did they give him any gut stimulants? What's his output like?

Re EC, I think it can manifest in a lot of different ways so no need to assume the worst at this point. Have a look for some threads on here, to see the variety. I'm in the early days of treating my two rabbits for what is looking likely to be a rather unclassical presentation of EC at the moment. If all he's shown is stasis episodes for now perhaps try to await the tests and take it one step at a time, easier said than done when you've had a bad experience, I know.

Hugs, and sorry to hear about your previous rabbit.

He's a lionhead, only 1.7kg. I would usually have him on my lap for feeding and meds but I'm on my own till my boyfriend gets home from work and I really struggle to hold him and feed when in that position. I found if he's on the counter I can pop one hand between his front legs and gently push up on his chest and just slowly lift his front paws off the surface and lean into him so he feels secure. I've been syringing the first amount in but as he doesn't swallow I take the syringe out, then after he eventually swallows he buries his face down into his chest and by the time I've got him into a good position he does the same again :roll: Funny how energetic they suddenly become when the syringe comes out, especially when you've been telling the vet how lethargic they are!
He wasn't given any meds as the vets stated the gut was moving normally and they didn't offer pain relief. I didn't think to ask as I was rushing home. They are usually very rabbit savvy, I know they are recommended by a few people on here, I am thinking now though whether he should have had pain relief.
He has passed urine multiple times today, small amounts but has had no faeces since about 7am. It's hard to tell as he is in with Pippa but her poos have been a slightly different colour so I'm pretty sure 7am was the last time.
If his bloods are positive will they want to test/treat Pippa as well? My previous bun was single so wasn't told anything about care for other rabbits.
He's just sat in his kennel at the moment looking sorry for himself while Pip grooms his ears for him :(

He's had no pain relief, I wasn't given any by the vets. He had pooed overnight, small amounts, non since about 7am this morning.

Well it might be a good idea to call the Vet and ask if he could have a dose of Metacam. If he has that and he subsequently starts to show an interest in food it indicates he has some pain somewhere. The Vet just needs to work out where. Did he have any gut motility meds given that on examination his abdomen was apparently 'doughy' ?

Well it might be a good idea to call the Vet and ask if he could have a dose of Metacam. If he has that and he subsequently starts to show an interest in food it indicates he has some pain somewhere. The Vet just needs to work out where. Did he have any gut motility meds given that on examination his abdomen was apparently 'doughy' ?

I'm taking him back in. He's now not swallowing anything I syringe feed him and he just doesn't seem right. I think he's definitely in pain, I can see it in his face...I hope he'll be ok :cry:
Pippa got quite nervy when I took him to the vets earlier, should I take her in with him to try and help calm them both, or would she just get in the way?

I'm taking him back in. He's now not swallowing anything I syringe feed him and he just doesn't seem right. I think he's definitely in pain, I can see it in his face...I hope he'll be ok :cry:
Pippa got quite nervy when I took him to the vets earlier, should I take her in with him to try and help calm them both, or would she just get in the way?

I would try to take both of them if possible. Unless Pippa's 'nerviness' makes Otto even more anxious.

Hope you got some pain relief and gut stimulants at the vets.
Here are some tricks that i use when syringe feeding recovery food.
First of all, the syringe food to be warm by either warm water or in microwave.
I also put some syringe food into small circle blobs and into the oven for a while as to make cookies, as sometimes she prefers to eat that.

I have gotten a way now to syringe feed when im on my own at times when no one is around to help me. First tie your hair back otherwise it can get in your way. Then kneel on the floor. Open your legs so to have a space for bunny to fit between. If you can, cross your feet behind your posterior so bunny can not back up away. Next put towel down over your knees and floor so to stop dribbling mess. Next put bunny inbetween legs and close legs until bunny is secure, but still keep holding with your hands on bunny. Have syringe food ready beforehand. Bend your torso over bunny so you trap him with your body as well able to see where his mouth is. Get your left hand and using index finger and thumb gently part open mouth and then with right hand syringe food in slowly and small amounts at a time to allow swallowing.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Back