• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiccups - Older Bunny-UPDATE - cancer

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi there,

My rabbit, Billie, has had hiccups since yesterday. I'm worried because he has them now for 24 hours. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

Otherwise, he is totally normal, eating, attentive, etc. But he is 8 years old now. I just worry.

Last edited:
He needs to be examined by a Vet. Hiccups that go on for 24 hours are very abnormal and might be indicative of a potentially serious problem, even if he seems well within himself at the moment. For example a mass in the diaphragm can cause hiccups, as can an enlarged heart (cardiomegaly)

So I would get your Vet to examine your Rabbit ASAP.

Good luck

Thank you Jane. Gosh I had no idea. I will call the vets as soon as they open. Thank you again. I will update this thread.

Hi thank you Jane so much for saying to take him in. He actually didn't have hiccups when he was there but the Vet felt a mass inside. So we xrayed and there is something around his kidney about the size of a golf ball. He is going to have an ultrasound. I'm not sure the date. I will find out tomorrow. Hopefully it will be soon. He is eating and pooping normally and did not act as though he had any pain when she examined him. She thinks it is a tumour. I'm so upset. I love him more than I can express. I will update when I have the ultrasound. My guinea pig has to get one too as she has a "mystery" illness and has gone through all the blood work, urine, xrays, etc. So I will be getting a deal hopefully to get both done.

:( I'm monitoring him closely and if he stops eating or has ANY indications of pain he will have pain med prescribed.

Hi thank you Jane so much for saying to take him in. He actually didn't have hiccups when he was there but the Vet felt a mass inside. So we xrayed and there is something around his kidney about the size of a golf ball. He is going to have an ultrasound. I'm not sure the date. I will find out tomorrow. Hopefully it will be soon. He is eating and pooping normally and did not act as though he had any pain when she examined him. She thinks it is a tumour. I'm so upset. I love him more than I can express. I will update when I have the ultrasound. My guinea pig has to get one too as she has a "mystery" illness and has gone through all the blood work, urine, xrays, etc. So I will be getting a deal hopefully to get both done.

:( I'm monitoring him closely and if he stops eating or has ANY indications of pain he will have pain med prescribed.

Oh dear :cry: I hope he remains comfortable. Sending lots of vibes for both him and for your Guinea Pig xx

Just caught up with this thread. Lots of vibes and prayers on the way for Billie and your g-piggie. ((((((((Hugs))))))) xxxxx

Thanks guys, I had such a hard time sleeping last night. I couldn't stop worrying. It feels so unreal that this is happening to Bill. I honestly thought he was totally healthy until these hiccups started. I hope he can get in this weekend for the ultrasound. I really don't want to leave it long. I need to know what it is and how I can help him. :cry:

Billie and my guinea pig, Sadie, are booked for their ultrasounds on Monday. I have decided to give Billie some pain meds to make sure he isn't in pain. The Vet thinks that his unusual breathing could be caused from pain. So he had his first dose today. He gets Metcam twice a day. I couldn't stop thinking about him at work today. I just wanted to go home and be with him.

I usually volunteer on Saturdays but I decided to cancel to spend time with Bill. Thanks again everyone.

Thank you everyone, It helps so much to know there are people who understand. Some people at work just give me the look like "its just a bunny" but overall most people have been understanding at work.

Bill had a good evening. He ran about the yard eating grass/dandelions and except for the fast breathing, he seemed normal. It is sooo hard to wait until Monday to have the ultrasound done. I'm debating if I should call in sick for work. I've never done that before. I will have to see how it plays out.

Here is a picture of Billie Gene. That was from a couple years ago in the winter.
bill9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and this is Sadie: She is the one on the right that has short hair.
003_zpsd3885aad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you everyone for all the positive vibes. They are much appreciated. I'm really glad Bill is going in tomorrow for the ultrasound because I've now noticed that his poops are super small and he has been laying out a lot, not as normal. He is still eating and active but something is definitely not right. I'm worried that mass is affecting his digestive system.

My guinea pig seems fine though just drinking copious amounts of water as usual. But I'll be glad to see her ultrasound results as well. I really need to know what is going on with both of them so I can treat them properly.

Bill is now NOT impressed with his medicine. Sigh. He forgives me pretty quick though because he gets a treat after.

Omg one thing I have noticed recently about Billie is his rib cage is distended more and his eyes are bulging when he is eating or looking downwards. I just read this is a sign of heart disease. I'm making the Vets look at his heart tomorrow on the ultrasound not just the mass by his kidneys. I had a cat that had cardiomyapathy. I'm kind of freaking out now. His behavour is totally making sense now. He had way less energy lately, laying down a lot and breathing VERY fast.

I found out that my rabbit most likely has lymphoma. His lymph nodes are swollen and he has a large tumour by his kidneys. His lungs are filling with fluid which is why his eyes are bulging, and he is doing rapid breathing. He can't breath deep anymore due to fluid. :(

I have opted to not put him through chemo because it isn't very successful with rabbits and he is older, 8 years old. The cancer is quite advanced and I don't want to prolong his suffering or ADD to it with chemo. He is on pain meds right now and I'll be keeping a close eye on him to make sure his breathing doesn't get worse or if it does I will take him in right away to have him put to sleep. This is what happened to my cat when she had cardiomyopathy. It is horrible. I don't want him to feel like he is drowning.

I feel so sad for my old boy. He has really aged in the last few days. His stools are very small and his appetite has suddenly decreased. He doesn't have a whole lot of energy either and mostly likes to lay down. I noticed yesterday when he was out playing in the yard that whenever he did a sprint that he had to lay down and rest after.

As for the guinea pig, Sadie, they found a few things but need to do more research to get back to me. She might have Cushings Disease. One adrenal gland is enlarged and one Thyroid gland is enlarged. The Thyroid gland also has a cyst on it. I will know more later when they discuss it with the Exotic experts. But nothing terminal in her case, thank goodness.

:( I'm in such shock about Billie. My stomach hurts so much.

Back