• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sandford outdoor run help

dbownes

Young Bun
Hi i got my boys friday so with 24 hours to settle in and then a few cuddles to calm them down, plus ive been at work all day today ive come home to build up this run and its literally 4 sides and 4 pegs, the "hooks" that join it together are NOT very secure and according to the instructions i just slide the pegs down the "hooks" and stick them in the grass, but there is nothing to hold the pegs there if you get me, as the "hooks don't close!!! its then got a roof that joins on somehow......the instructions are useless and very faint........can anybody enlighten me although i know this thread probably does not make sense to some people. thanks to anyone that can help in the slightest

sandford-square-run.jpg

That run looks like one I used to have before I realised how unsafe they can be :cry: see this post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Safety-warning-about-an-enclosure-please-read. I got rid of mine once I found out about the dangers, and we made an aviary style run using weldmesh.

oh no

i got told the metal ones were better, and the reviews on amazon for my particular one are ok, i dread to think owt would happen though, i would happily safe proof the gaps/holes etc so they could run free in my garden but as there new im scared that i wouldn't be able to catch em, also they wouldn't have anything to protect them from predators, ok i will have to look into something else but it will be a couple of months before i can afford to buy anything else rabbit!! lol.

any suggestions?? thanks.

If you have a look at the RWAF guidelines, they recommend a hutch no smaller than 6ft wide, with a permanently attached run of something like 8ft x 6ft. The housing section gives various ideas. If you are looking for a second run, which you can move around the garden, perhaps a wooden folding one in which you could put a shelter?

If you've just bought it online, you can send it back for a refund. Distance selling rules mean you have 7 days to tell the seller you want to return it. Or if it's not as secure as the description implied then I think you have a bit longer. You'd have to pay postage back.

The issue with wire width will depend on the spacing on the particular run you bought and your rabbits size. It might be fine. If it is ok, you could make it more secure by using some wooden uprights to attach it to and basically turn it into a wood framed run.

I would send it back as Tamsin says if it seems flimsy and unsafe. Or you could make a wooden frame for it, and also attach mesh to the bars as another improvement, but then you may as well have made yourself a new run with the materials.

If you have a look at the RWAF guidelines, they recommend a hutch no smaller than 6ft wide, with a permanently attached run of something like 8ft x 6ft. The housing section gives various ideas. If you are looking for a second run, which you can move around the garden, perhaps a wooden folding one in which you could put a shelter?

There hutch is certainly big enough and the runs when put together will be 8ft by 4ft. But only using runs until there calm enough to run free as my garden is huge!! But would have to cover bottom of fences etc.

If you've just bought it online, you can send it back for a refund. Distance selling rules mean you have 7 days to tell the seller you want to return it. Or if it's not as secure as the description implied then I think you have a bit longer. You'd have to pay postage back.

The issue with wire width will depend on the spacing on the particular run you bought and your rabbits size. It might be fine. If it is ok, you could make it more secure by using some wooden uprights to attach it to and basically turn it into a wood framed run.

I bought it from a pet shop in which i have already returned the hutch i originally bought as it wasn't suitable. Ive read on amazon about using pliers to close the "hooks" round the pegs so will attempt to build it up again today. Maybe just constantly watch them while there in. But they have plenty of grass and toys to go in with them which should hopefully keep em away from the sides.

Keep in mind foxes and cats will scale a 6' fence, and foxes aren't limited to night time (and aren't necessarily put off by people) so your garden has to be very secure if you are letting them free range!

Keep in mind foxes and cats will scale a 6' fence, and foxes aren't limited to night time (and aren't necessarily put off by people) so your garden has to be very secure if you are letting them free range!

I second and third all of this :thumb:

The first time you see a fox will most likely be the last time you see your rabbits alive ... :cry:

i managed to build it up safely and they loved it was out most of day and all shaded from the sun, i did keep checking them though, i am still going to look into getting a different one in the very near future as it took too long to put up and take down, put it this way its a good job i wasn't going anywhere. and with my 15 month old daughter pestering for attention constantly its a good job i got up before she did this morning but at least they have ad some exercise and plenty of grass.

Back