• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess food cubes

I give them occasionally but mostly as a toy :lol: they make such a mess but the girls absolutely love them!

I have to say I thought they were rubbish as a food.

The 'pellet portion' in there that is meant to be slowly eaten over several days is just clumped in the middle so once bun got to them they were all gone in seconds leaving just compressed hay :shock: which didn't seem very good, plus the hay is chopped really finely before pressing into the cube and I actually thought it was quite dusty.

The buns loved them, they spent a happy hour shredding them into a large pile of dusty bits of hay that was spread over a 3ft square area :shock::shock::shock: took ages to clear up :roll: Loki made it extra fun by dropping about a third of his into his water bowl whilst it was still mostly intact and the darn thing sucked up all the water and swelled up into a large (slightly gooey) mess.

The buns had a ball... I didn't as it took ages to get the mess off of the carpet, I only bought them once and have not been tempted to again :lol:

The 'pellet portion' in there that is meant to be slowly eaten over several days is just clumped in the middle so once bun got to them they were all gone in seconds leaving just compressed hay :shock: which didn't seem very good, plus the hay is chopped really finely before pressing into the cube and I actually thought it was quite dusty.

The buns loved them, they spent a happy hour shredding them into a large pile of dusty bits of hay that was spread over a 3ft square area :shock::shock::shock: took ages to clear up :roll: Loki made it extra fun by dropping about a third of his into his water bowl whilst it was still mostly intact and the darn thing sucked up all the water and swelled up into a large (slightly gooey) mess.

The buns had a ball... I didn't as it took ages to get the mess off of the carpet, I only bought them once and have not been tempted to again :lol:

I've never tried them on my buns, and after reading your account I'm not going to bother :shock::lol:

Sorry but that bit made me chuckle! I don't feed my buns burgess anyway, but just in case I thought I might it definitely won't be the cubes!!!

:lol:

When these companies say they have bunnies to taste their products, I didn't realise they meant "design" for maximum bunny-nortiness too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened to me with those hay cakes made by naturals. They are a brilliant way of getting hay into my George because he enjoys pulling it apart and carrying it around my lounge but one night he chucked it into his water bowl and I woke up with him not having any water! I now take it away when I'm not there haha

:lol: not sure I have ever been quoted so much within a single thread before :lol:

I feel I should add that the buns had an awful lot of fun, and they did eat some of the pressed hay, and would probably have eaten more if I had been able to cope with leaving the 3ft pile of cube bits there for a few days. But I couldn't, with one bun in the lounge and one in the bedroom I simply couldn't deal with that much mess for so long :shock: :lol:

Plus this was probably close to 2 years ago... Maybe they have been improved by now?

Don't think I will be buying any more to see though! :lol:

Totally agree about the mess! I had a dustpan and brush in my hand permanently. I wouldn't use it as a regular food but it's great as a treat/toy. I buy them for Christmas :)

I hate them. hate them, hate them, hate them!! :evil:

I think as a toy, fine, and most people on here are bunny savvy enough to know that they are not a suitable substitute for their usual hay, pellets and greens type of diet.

For the average, "we bought a bunny for our kids/on a whim" sort of owner, who doesnt know better, they are the worst thing Burgess could have invented, and a step backwards in terms of rabbit nutrition.

We know how important long strands of coarse, indigestible fibre is to rabbit's health. Imagine someone coming along and plonking one of those in their rabbits hutch without any other hay, food or enrichment? ....I just cant stand the things :lol: My buns werent even interested.

Back