• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help

dbownes

Young Bun
What sex is best when keeping 2 together?, i want 2 males preferably but seen that there is a chance they will fight, do i get just one neuteured or both??

Boy/girl both neutered makes the best bond. You are taking a gamble with 2 boys even when they are both neutered. If 2 brothers can get to castration stage without a fallout you stand a good chance that they will stay friends. Boys can be castrated at around 4 months, some Vets might do them a little bit earlier.

Boy/girl both neutered makes the best bond. You are taking a gamble with 2 boys even when they are both neutered. If 2 brothers can get to castration stage without a fallout you stand a good chance that they will stay friends. Boys can be castrated at around 4 months, some Vets might do them a little bit earlier.

Exactly this :thumb:

Neutered male and spayed female.

A friend I know insists on always having males each time one of hers dies. She makes it work, but not without a lot of heartache (and phone calls to me!) along the way :wave:

If they are both neutered and bonded a few weeks later when the hormones have eased off, it shouldn't make much difference what pairings you do. I prefer 2 boys together as an easy bond, followed by boy / girl. I find that girls are feistier. Others have different experiences / opinions. Often it comes down to the individual rabbits and whether they get on together. They nearly always prefer a friend or two, rather than being an only rabbit, though. Always neuter both whenever possible, otherwise there will always be issues between them - as well as health risks to un-neutered girls.

There are thousands of rabbits in rescues that are looking for homes. It may be best ot get an already bonded pair of buns. They will already be vaccinated and neutered`and you won't have to go through the stress of bonding an having to wait for them to be neutered etc.

Hae a look in some rescues near where you live, or have a browse through the "Rabbits in Need" section on here. :)

if you're set on having two boys, then there should be an already bonded pair in rescue somewhere. :wave:

the boys im looking at are both kept together now at 10 weeks old, i will be getting them both done eventually just not necessarily together. i couldn't risk a boy/girl mix when the vet isn't willing to do them for 4 month they are going to be living together and girls have put me off with the risk of them getting territorial. at least i can seperate fighting males but can't argue with hormonal girls!! thanks.

the boys im looking at are both kept together now at 10 weeks old, i will be getting them both done eventually just not necessarily together. i couldn't risk a boy/girl mix when the vet isn't willing to do them for 4 month they are going to be living together and girls have put me off with the risk of them getting territorial. at least i can seperate fighting males but can't argue with hormonal girls!! thanks.

i had two brothers, bisc and matt. they were together from babies and both neutered as soon as they matured so they could stay together. you'd need to neuter both at the same time to make sure they didn't fall out :wave:

Would you not consider a ready bonded pair from a rescue?

No drama and no operations to get through!

My boys are two brothers who came from the RSPCA and they are as close as any bunnies could be. They can't stand being more than a few inches apart at any time, it's very cute. I think same-sex pairs possibly work better with siblings but I'm not totally sure.

I got two bucks from our local pet shop (impulse buy) but they fell out even though they had been together since birth.

They are back together now (in with two spayed does, sisters who have a great bond) but the bonding was not stress free (!) and they had to separated for ages first (to help them recover from their castration and forget about the fights).

I have since got rescue rabbits, already neutered and bonded. Waaaaaay easier and less stressful.

Good luck with whatever you decide. 2 bucks often make a lovely couple.

Beware of the rabbits in need section. It is packed to the rafters with cuteness!

I have several male/male pairs - in fact mostly groups - and feel it can be one of the most successful pairings as long as both are neutered.

ive gone for 2 boys and got them into there hutch approx 5pm tonight and they've settled right in, ive had a quick cuddle too, there now tucked up for the night with the whole day to look forward to tomorrow in between playing with my 15 month old daughter obviously. will keep you all posted with there progress thanks.

Back