• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amoxypen LA?

laurabunny

New Kit
Hey guys, currently treating what we think is a skin infection and was told to give her daily Baytril injections. So after getting her home we injected her, and then after read that the label says Amoxypen LA. After googling I found out that rabbits shouldn't have it... What should I do?! She's currently breathing very fast and laying down a lot.
Did she give me the wrong thing? Or is that a similar drug to Baytril?

Hey guys, currently treating what we think is a skin infection and was told to give her daily Baytril injections. So after getting her home we injected her, and then after read that the label says Amoxypen LA. After googling I found out that rabbits shouldn't have it... What should I do?! She's currently breathing very fast and laying down a lot.
Did she give me the wrong thing? Or is that a similar drug to Baytril?

It's definitely not Baytril : http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/amoxypen_la/010_overview.aspx
It's a long acting penicillin, which is usually safely injected (though I have not heard of that brand used on rabbits before), and daily injections is a hefty dose.

I am also surprised at it's use for a suspected skin infection .. How rabbit savvy is your vet?

It's definitely not Baytril : http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/amoxypen_la/010_overview.aspx
It's a long acting penicillin, which is usually safely injected (though I have not heard of that brand used on rabbits before), and daily injections is a hefty dose.

I am also surprised at it's use for a suspected skin infection .. How rabbit savvy is your vet?

Hmm, well its only 0.5ml a day, or is that considered high?
My usual vet is away but she seems to know a lot about rabbits and seemed to really know what she was doing

I would call your vet immediately. This is the info I found on it regarding it's use in rabbits. It's listed as dangerous to give. Though I did also find some conflicting info saying the injections might be ok, just oral administration was dangerous. Hopefully the oral is just bad, but if she is showing signs of distress, I would get her right back to the vet.

"Ampicillin 40 to 100% fatal enteritis, dependent on dosage"

http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

Amoxicillin can be injected in rabbits safely. I would ring your vets for further advice as it is confusing not having the drug you were told you were being prescribed.

I would call your vet immediately. This is the info I found on it regarding it's use in rabbits. It's listed as dangerous to give. Though I did also find some conflicting info saying the injections might be ok, just oral administration was dangerous. Hopefully the oral is just bad, but if she is showing signs of distress, I would get her right back to the vet.

"Ampicillin 40 to 100% fatal enteritis, dependent on dosage"

http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

Oral penicillin is deadly .. it causes fatalities in rabbits by destroying all the bacteria in the gut

Back