• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introductions..

jlp50

New Kit
Hello, I would like to introduce myself and seek some feedback, my situation is this:

Yesterday I was given a bunny who was no longer wanted by a family for various reasons. I have taken him in, and set him up with a home on my balcony (it is a protected balcony, not open to any preditors, fairly protected from the elements, and he has lots of space to either jump into his hutch or run around the balcony, as he sees fit!)

I have owned rabbits before and remember building a great rapport with them, but I remember it took time. But they I would let them roam freely in the garden when I was there, and when I clicked my fingers and put food in their hutch, they would go back home and I could secure them there and then.

My new friend (Barny) is quite grubby and could probably do with a wash - obviously I am not doing any thing to him until I know what the protocol is on this - washing rabbits?? obviously I would check first to find out if I can use more than just water on him. Has anyone heard of any products that can be used without damaging them, or just really upsetting them . .. ?

I have already sat with him and hand fed him chopped veg etc.. but he is still fairly nervous, I have stroked his nose and head a couple of times and I would like to pick him up and groom him and work on cleaning him up. I have kept my space and let him come to me first, as I don't want to freak him out or frighten him this early on (it has only been 28 hours after all!!). Any ideas about how long it takes before you can start to just pick him up?

I would like to get him a buddy, but would prefer to build a relationship with him first, but not knowing how long this may take, he could get very lonely, and winter is coming. I see his best protection against the cold is a buddy.

I guess I joined this forum to find out 1) how anyone else has built a relationship with a rabbit who is already an adult 2) how you would go about cleaning a grubby rabbit 3) grooming a rabbit that doesn't want to be picked up yet and how they get on during winter alone.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: Well done for taking in Barny :)
First off, no healthy fit rabbit needs to be washed as they are like cats and groom themselves. If he is dirty I suspect he has not been kept to well before.
With any new rabbit you don't know the history of it's best to take it to a rabbit savvy vet for a healthcheck as he may have mites/fleas or dental issues. If healthy he could be vaccinated and neutered as well.
However, his surroundings and you are new to him so give him time to settle. Get down to his level and bond with him maybe hand feeding him his pellets so he sees you as a good thing :D
You will find lots of info here so stick around and join in. All questions and pictures are welcome :wave:

Ah thanks for your thoughts Bunslave, good idea I will take him for a checkup at the vet in a few days, and if he is neutered he could then have a girlfriend!

Hopefully he will settle down a bit in that time and perhaps be a littleless skittish.

I will stay on this forum for tips and advice, thanks for the welcome!.

Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing with regards to getting him used to you and building a bond. All rabbits are different, my big one isn't shy of anyone, one of my little ones gets used to people quicker than the other etc. It is about patience, and sitting in his space and letting him come to you. There's lots of advice about this on here and on the Internet in general.

I agree with bun slave about taking him to the vets and cleaning etc. A lot of bunnies are moulting at the moment (my orange rug is currently white) so he may look a bit scruffy because of that - if that's the case then as he gets used to you, you can't start to groom him. I find it easier to use damp hands and smoothing over the coat.

You will find this forum very helpful :thumb:

Congratulations on your new friend, and well done for taking him on :wave:

Welcome to the Forum and many happy years together for you and Barney :wave:

I should think a vet's visit would be priority to make sure the little one is in tip top condition and gets his vaccinations (if you can be sure he's not had them yet).

Bonding with an adult rabbit is just pure joy. You come to one another on equal terms and forge a bond. All my rabbits are rescues and adult, and it's lovely getting to know them as the unique friends they are .. :love:

Thank you all for your tips and advice. I havent kept rabbits for about 15 years so concerned id forgotten how to communicate with them.

I'll update more at the weekend as Bary and I will have had more time together and get the vet trip done by then.

Thank you all for your tips and advice. I havent kept rabbits for about 15 years so concerned id forgotten how to communicate with them.

I'll update more at the weekend as Bary and I will have had more time together and get the vet trip done by then.

:thumb:

Back