• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Wasn't sure which section to put this in but is it normal for a rabbit to only just have started moulting?! Surely they should be starting to get their winter coats ready?? Heidi is the only one of my 4 who hadn't been moulting all summer apart from the odd tuft, but literally overnight she has a mass of loose fur all over her back :shock: I'm just worried that if she moults for as long as the others she's going to moult as the weather gets colder and she's on her own at the moment.

bisc has been lightly moulting the last few weeks, but this last few days he's suddenly moulting loads more. :wave:

bisc has been lightly moulting the last few weeks, but this last few days he's suddenly moulting loads more. :wave:

I've never seen anything like this, literally her whole back is loose fur!! And it just appeared overnight! Tried to take a pic but it doesn't really show up the full effect! She's not going to be a happy bunny when I grab her for a good brush!

I agree it's weird but H is literally shedding his entire coat as rapidly as I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lot seem to have been taking it in turns to moult so all summer a few have been moulting then when they almost finish a few more start. 2 of mine started their moult 2 days ago, they look very similar to Heidi. It never seems to bother them having lots of fur everywhere. I scoop it up daily but next day there's just as much. They think I am too fussy.

They always moult this time of year, they're just shedding their summer coat ready for their winter one. Aren't we all!!

I noticed Bobert had started to shed yesterday, my other two already shed their coats earlier in the year and Sumpy would have just moulted all year round so I guess they're just all different! He prefers it if I use a slightly damp hand to firmly stroke all the loose hair out and he's not adverse to a bit of a tug on the loose tufty bits on his lower back; each to their own again!!

Back