• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Continental Giant Babies Head Tilt Due To Ears? **UPDATE**

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Today I went from 0 bunny to 3!!!

I found Snowy on Rabbit Rehome, a Giant X, although grossly overweight with rather sore hocks, at 5 he is an utter delight, and I'm so pleased with what a great house bunny he'll make.

Earlier on in the week I enquired about 2 Contis going free to a good home. On my way back this person had rung me and I agreed to look. She mentioned their deformity over the phone which concerned my badly so I agreed to make the extra journey.
These bunnies were actually from a breeder. They cannot function properly AT ALL, constantly falling over and can not support their heads. The REW (now named Roger, thanks to my house mate :lol: ) is very slight which two horrifically splayed back legs. He has no control over his head function. Roger's mum had 9 kits and killed every single one apart from Roger and he only survived as he was lodged and stuck in the corner of the hutch(?!) he was then put on a mini lop and kept in a 3x1ft hutch with 2 minis. When I first saw Roger I was highly disturbed at his bodily functions.

Then the breeder bought Ralph out who was kept in the same sized hutch but on his own. Ralph is a very spirited character. Although his head rolling is bad and does fall over, he has more bodily control than Roger. The breeder said how she won't be able to sell them so giving them away for free to good home. Admittedly I did only want one for Snowy but I couldn't leave Ralph.

They are both 14 weeks old and HUGE. They are already the same size as Snowy. The breeder was told they can grow out of the deformity due to their neck muscles being weak and their ears being too heavy?

You'll be pleased to hear all 3 bunnies are home safe. Roger and Ralph had an explore in the garden. You can tell they've never been able to hop properly, their bodily control is quite disturbing and fall over a lot. I've never met a bunny quote like Ralph. He was chasing my dogs, digging, chewing, chin rubbing and even did a binky.

Roger and Snowy are snuggled up together in their hay box and Ralph is flopped out next to the sofa.
They're amazing, but is this something you guys have heard of??

Last edited:
Poor buns :(

I have no real experience of conti babies (other than a litter of conti crosses in rescue) but I have never heard of their ears causing them that much trouble. Personally I think other causes such as EC or an ear infection are more likely. I would certainly want to get them checked by a vet.

No, it isn't. I would say that they urgently need to see a vet, and I definitely wouldn't have risked introducing them to Snowy as you don't know if it's EC or what, that is causing these symptoms. You need to get them to a rabbit savvy vet sooner rather than later, I would say. Well done though for rescuing them, poor poor buns. Does the breeder need reporting? Certainly sounds like she does, and your vet report on these two will be evidence against her too.

No, it isn't. I would say that they urgently need to see a vet, and I definitely wouldn't have risked introducing them to Snowy as you don't know if it's EC or what, that is causing these symptoms. You need to get them to a rabbit savvy vet sooner rather than later, I would say. Well done though for rescuing them, poor poor buns. Does the breeder need reporting? Certainly sounds like she does, and your vet report on these two will be evidence against her too.

I think you're right. Her excuse for their appearance seemed to make sense. Ralph is able at times to hold his head straight when something catches his attention but then rolls back again.
I wouldn't say it's a head tilt, but more of a lack of control over their heads?! (I'll show you pictures tomorrow) their awful hops I convinced myself was due to the sheer lack of space and therefore inability to hop. After their stint in the garden, they wouldn't move and would tumble over. Now after learning to move (!!!!!) they are hopping happily (although looking rather drunk) in the living room.

As a pre-caution Snowy has now been bought up to my own room and sulking in his hay box ad he and Roger were flopped next to each other :(
Vet trip was always on the cards, as well for Snowy as he is dribbling and due to a previous poor diet, I reckon he needs a dental :-(

The joys of rescues... Maybe I should have gone to Pets at home HAHAHAHAHAHA

It sounds like the RSPCA definitely need contacting and this breeder reporting - I'd stress the very cramped conditions and the fact that some of them are now ill to them.

Hope these three continue to improve xx

It would be really tough to tell without seeing them but it's certainly not normal for the breed. It's very possible there is something more going on - whether in the form of an infection, EC or something genetic that's effecting them neurologically. Although that's a small hutch, and would cause long term issues I wouldn't expect you to see such dramatic ones in youngsters. A lot of breeders raise young in what we'd consider very cramped conditions and they don't have these issues.

Hopefully the vet can shed some light - let us know how you get on :)

That is not normal. :(

Hopefully they get on ok with the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think EC is possible too. If transmission was transplacental from the mother then the lens of their eyes are also likely to be effected. This can mean eventual lens rupture,cataracts and blindness aswell as possible uveitis. So the Vet will need to check out their eyes too. Aswell as the neurological issues they could also have renal problems so a blood profile would be useful.

A bacterial otitis is another possibility.

Congenital hip dysplacia can occur in Giants, so any hind leg issues could involve that.

Poor babies :cry: Sending lots of vibes for them

I am sure you will, but it's essential they are quarantined from the Conti-X whilst they undergo diagnostics and appropriate treatment.

If EC or any possible congenital issues are confirmed I'd request a copy of their clinical notes from the Vet and forward them to the Breeder. You never know, the Breeder might take notice and take appropriate action ..........................

Last edited:
I was on a Facebook group recently where someone had bought a giant from a breeder in Essex with exactly the same issue. In her case it was the vet who told her his ears were too heavy :)shock:), and I came on here to get recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet for her. It did turn out to be EC :(

Maybe the same breeder? :(

Thats really quite disturbing if it is and i agree they should reported

Fee xxx

Hey Hetty :wave:, good to see you on RU again :D. I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said except "well done" for taking on these bunnies. Most people would have walked away. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Yes the breeder was in Essex.
I am reporting said breeder and bunnies have their vet appt booked.

Ralph was holding his head up normally this morning but fell over a lot. Roger has come leap and bounds already. I have videos, anyone know how to upload them?

:( agree with the others, definitely not normal! What did the other bunnies at the breeders look like? Any signs of head tilt and/or inability to walk there? I would be tempted to give the RSPCA a ring if you think the conditions there were such that they might be able to see something wrong for themselves.

Whereabouts are you living now, are you still using Spring Lodge?

Edit:cross posted! You can upload video to photobucket in the same way that you do photos.

All other babies looked fine but we're much younger.
Roger has an extremely under shot jaw as well. So worried about them now :( :( :(

the Animal Welfare Act

A person commits an offence if he does not not take such steps as are reasonable in all the circumstances to ensure that the needs of an animal for which he is responsible are met to the extent requires by good practice

This states..........The animals needs shall be taken to include

a) its need for a suitable environment .....Failed
b) it's need for a suitable diet.................Failed
c) its need to exhibit normal behaviour patterns.............Failed
e) its need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.........Failed

Anyone can look this up and on this occassion there has been a definite failure

Vets in an hour. Worried.
Roger is very underweight. I noticed he had an undershot jaw but when I managed to look inside I've never seen anything like it. His upper incisors are so long and curling into the back of his mouth.
Praying for the boys :-(

Roger is very underweight. I noticed he had an undershot jaw but when I managed to look inside I've never seen anything like it. His upper incisors are so long and curling into the back of his mouth.

:cry:

More vibes being sent xx

Poor things :(

Big bunnies should be healthy, happy, bouncy bundles of joy. Not this. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope your appointment went ok, whatever the outcome you did a brilliant thing taking them on as without you they would never have received the veterinary attention they clearly need xx

Back