• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Continental Giant Babies Head Tilt Due To Ears? **UPDATE**

I'm sure Hetty will update later but I've just seen on FB that they have both been seen (by a vet I've seen before and who is good with bunnies) and are being treated for EC and eye infections, and Roger has had his incisors trimmed to at least keep him a bit more comfy before they can be removed. The joys of vets practices open 7 days a week!!

I'm sure Hetty will update later but I've just seen on FB that they have both been seen (by a vet I've seen before and who is good with bunnies) and are being treated for EC and eye infections, and Roger has had his incisors trimmed to at least keep him a bit more comfy before they can be removed. The joys of vets practices open 7 days a week!!

Thanks for the update. I dread to think what may have become of them had Hetty not taken them xx

What a heart breaking story but also heart warming that they found their way into your care. I'm so relieved for them. I can not believe that breeder didn't get those bunnies some medical attention sooner, it's outrageous!! I shudder to think what to led to these little guys ending up in this state. Bless you for taking such good care of them, I'm sure they're feeling more comfortable already <3

Update

Thanks for update Alison :wave:

Took the boys to the vets and saw a brilliant vet who was mortified at not only their condition but their mobility and commented when I picked Ralph out how floppy they were :(

Ralph: eye infection, EC, grossly underweight and scurvy coat. Molars and incisors are fine (phew) with no ear infections. Slightly splayed hind feet due to malnutrition.

Roger: eye infection, EC, pasturella, grossly underweight but even more so than Ralph which is causing him to have badly splayed hind legs and scurvy coat.
Roger also has a mis-aligned jaw where his bottom is over shot, therefore his upper incisors were curling downwards in to tongue and under into the roof of his mouth. This is the reason we think he's so underweight. His molars are also 'tall' but no sign of ear infection. Katharine trimmed these for him.

Both bunnies on Panacur for EC, eye drops and Roger is on a course of anti-bionics.

Loads of vibes please!! Will all show you pictures, visiting my poorly grandmother who has recently broken her leg, so will use her computer.

Love these boys so much already! Ralph is currently munching on some dried herbs, occasionally throwing his toy about and Roger is grooming himself and snoozing.

Sodding auto-correct!! Anti-biotics not bionics :lol:
Katharine will also remove Roger's incisors when he has his neuter - both boys booked in next Saturday for their checkup :love:

Glad that your boys are receiving proper care and getting lots of love and exercise!

Is Snowy on panacur as well?

Love the look of Scarlet in your sig. You obviously like big rabbits. :D

Hi Tulsi, Scarlett died back in 2009! Just shows how long I haven't been on the forum! I do love big buns, although all my previous rabbits were miniatures!

Back