• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zena - the Border Collie Puppy

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
I'll just make this thread for updates on Xena, her progress and pictures etc for if anyone is following her :wave:

She has been with us almost 2 weeks now and is almost 11 weeks old. After getting a little frustrated with the toilet training, I started afresh the next day and except a couple of night time accidents and on Friday when she had been let out numerous times but I really had to go out, she hasnt done a single poop in the house since Wednesday afternoon. Sometimes she will sit near the front door when she wants a poop but with the peeing its really just guess work and whipping her outside if she looks like she may need one.

Clicker training is going great. We are learning sit, down, roll, stand, leave, touch (my hand, target training), turning left and right, and this morning she learned paw in a matter of 5 mins (although will have to work on her offering the other paw). I try to keep it as interesting as possible and break up a piece of chicken into tiny pieces and the training session lasts as long as a single piece of chicken lasts so she doesnt get bored, although I do this 3 or 4 times a day.

Ive been throwing a ball for her a short distance on the garden, her reward for doing her business outside. Sometimes she will bring it back and others she runs off with it. Also have been working on short distance recall with her.

She has gotten into a naughty habit of biting my mothers feet so we say "No!" and give her time out to let her know that we don't like what she is doing. Time out only lasts a minute or so if she is quiet and then I try to direct her attention onto a toy. If anyone has any tips on this feet biting business (tried just stopping and not reacting/yelping but it doesn't make a difference.. In fact the only thing that gets her off is growling like a dog as my mother found out but I dont know if this is okay to use?)

She has her second round of vaccination on Wednesday and a week later we can go for walks! I've had her on the garden getting used to traffic but obviously it will be different when she is not behind the fence. Any tips for a first walk?

Anyway, here she is :love::love: sorry if these are massive, photobucket does not want to resize!

Last edited:
Wow can't believe how much she has grown already! She looks a handful! Cheeky glint in that eye! :shock: :lol:

Wow can't believe how much she has grown already! She looks a handful! Cheeky glint in that eye! :shock: :lol:

You're telling me! She feels so heavy but I weighed her and she's put no weight on so she can't have grown too much. I think she looks bigger in the pictures than she actually is but she has grown bless her.

She is a handful! I try to distract her with training when she is doing things she shouldn't but it's do difficult to wear her out though at the mo but she has just gone back to sleep after a mini training session :D she's so clever and really listens to me.

Last edited:
Xena has been for her second round of vaccinations and her microchip today and was very very good in the vets, I am such a proud puppy mummy!

She's fast asleep now :love:

And this is a photo from the other night, rubbish quality but she is so cute :love:

She has gained 1.5kg making her 7kg now, clean bill of health and she just loves everyone and wants to say hello, although she is wary of children but she hadn't seen any before today so is to be expected!

I love my girly :love:

She also had a little bark today in the vets but I managed to get her focused on me and into a sit then down (I did go armed with chicken though :lol:) and after that she was quiet, goes to show my hard work is paying off!

:D

Last edited:
Awwww I love her little speckled smooth puppy belly x

Where did you get that gorgeous pink cushion for her bed? I need something like that for my two, especially a pink one!

Awwww I love her little speckled smooth puppy belly x

Where did you get that gorgeous pink cushion for her bed? I need something like that for my two, especially a pink one!

I know it's so smooth :love:

It's a Ruffer 'n' Tuffer one from PaH, she has chewed everything else that has been put in her bed, and she has tried to chew that but because of the material she can't grasp it in her mouth properly so has decided it is worthy of sleeping on :thumb:

Xena is doing brilliantly with her house training now :D today there has not been a single accident in the house, and yesterday there was only 1 tiddle. She can hold it through the night from her last outing anywhere between 10-11pm to around 6-7am, havent woken to an accident all week! I do limit her drinking at night times though to make accidents less likely.

Obligatory photo of course :D :

So, Xena went for her first walkie today!

Popped her up to the field (5mins up there) and she didn't do too badly. Shes a little worried about cars and just sits down when they go past, but once we were on the field she was fine. She's said hello to a couple of doggies and I sat on the bench with her for a while until all doggies had cleared off, then popped her training lead on to practice recall and had a little game of fetch (only about 5 throws and not big throws) which she loved! Clipped her other lead back on and came home. Very pleased with that :D

I've read that it's much better to walk them on grass anyway because of their developing joints etc and we can't really play fetch on my garden as she picks up all the pebbles so it's pretty ideal to have a long training lead. I know I won't be able to let her off for a very long time, recall is something to be worked on at home and gradually build up the distractions but when we played fetch she was totally focused on me - it's just nice to know I have the lead attached to her and can grab it at any time!

Shes absolutely tired out, I think it must be the fresh air as I really didn't over do it with her!

Can you believe how much she has changed in 3 weeks?

She is one beautiful lady! I wish I could have a dog! It's very strange living without one since I moved out of my parents house!

I know I've already updated once today.. But I have just taught her to 'speak' in a matter of 5 mins (admittedly thanks to a dog barking outside, but also thanks to the clicker for telling her 'yes do that!')

:D

Today Xena weighs 8.5kg, 200g of that has been gained in the last 2 days!

I saw someone on the field yesterday with another border collie pup, we let them meet and had a chat, her collie was a 20wk old boy, and was the same size as Xena!

I think she is going to be quite big for a collie b¡tch.

Anyway, here she is :) I haven't let her off lead yet, but I have a 50ft training line and I have to say that she is actually very good at listening even when there is distractions. Not bad at all.

We had a temper tantrum last night, she was very very over tired so needed to be out out into the hallway (her 'crate' if you like :lol:) to get her to settle.

I have had her 4 weeks today and I have loved her for the whole 4 weeks :love:

It sounds like she is settling in well
I had to giggle when you said she had a temper tantrum. I only have experience of human temper tantrums so was trying to imagine what a dog would be like. Lol :)

How is she taking to Lola and vice versa?

I love the middle picture.she is so pretty xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

It sounds like she is settling in well
I had to giggle when you said she had a temper tantrum. I only have experience of human temper tantrums so was trying to imagine what a dog would be like. Lol :)

How is she taking to Lola and vice versa?

I love the middle picture.she is so pretty xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Puppies get very manny/mouthy when having a tantrum, I guess they're just like kids when they get over tired.

There is a baby gate separating them with wire across so Lola can't stick her head through, but there is a little gap at the side where Xena has been sticking her nose through and Lola has growled at her :lol: Xena has lunged her nose through but in a playful way, I just haven't let Xena into the kitchen yet as I want to teach her a solid stay and leave it, she is a herding dog after all and Lola is a rabbit so 1 step at a time.

Her ears are sticking up now! Pictures to follow in a mo :)

Back