• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First post - handling my rabbit

We've had this rabbit four weeks now, we got him when he was 8 weeks old. He lives in the house; he's a mini lop. We let him out into the lounge whenever we're in and he's quite content in his cage anyway. When we first got him we handled him regularly much to his dismay, he got very distressed and once was so frightened he wet. After this I stopped handling him in order to settle him in and hopefully get him used to us. Now he comes to us and will hop around and over us and happily be stroked, however he wont let us attempt to pick him up. Any advice? I'm concerned his nails need cutting, how will I go about this if he cant be handled? Have we missed the chance? Any ideas would be great :)

Our Rex rabbit used to hate being picked up, you need to make sure the rabbit submits to you, head on the floor when you pick the rabbit up, with Rex we would pick him up out of his cage and then place him on the floor with us as he too is a house rabbit so he associates being picked up with a positive. He still hates it and gives us a certain before he struggles so don't expect a cuddly rabbit. All our rabbits hate their nails being clipped.

Mine is a house bun but still doesn't tolerate being picked up unfortunately, it doesn't bother me as he's cuddly on his own terms :)
I don't know if this would work for you but I tend to herd Fergie into his carrier and take him into a room that isn't "his". He's a lot quieter when he isn't somewhere he knows so he's a lot easier to handle :) I get someone to hold him with his bum nearly on the floor while I try and do his nails as quick as poss - most of the time he doesn't really struggle and is ok with it :)

The other option is take him to the vets for nail clipping - quick and easy but more expensive! (I get them to do his nails when it's vaccs time or if he's getting a check)

You've done exactly the right thing by taking a step back and letting him get used to being around you first. :D There's still lots that you can do to help get him used to being handled, so don't be too worried that you've missed your chance. This article is really good; it will take you through the stages of getting your rabbit used to being handled & it sounds like you're already part way through that process. http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

You have done the right thing there its best to drop to there level so sit on the floor and let
him come to you so is only a short distance from the floor so if he dose struggle he wont jump far. My boys don't mind being picked up but don't like there nails clipped so I pick them up in a small towel and I make sure there eyes are covered this seems to calm the so I can clip there nails. hope this helps:D

You've done exactly the right thing by taking a step back and letting him get used to being around you first. :D There's still lots that you can do to help get him used to being handled, so don't be too worried that you've missed your chance. This article is really good; it will take you through the stages of getting your rabbit used to being handled & it sounds like you're already part way through that process. http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

This.

Thanks from me also: I took mine to the vet yesterday and he kicked straight off. He's lovely for being stroked, hand-fed, even tolerated a brush for a bit, but will not be picked up. We only got him Saturday (so 5 days ago) and he's about a year old. I don't think he's ever been picked up except to come to our house (never been to vets before either).

I went to see Richard Saunders (The amazing Rabbit Vet) and he taught me that once the rabbit is still, or even better in a submissive pose, you can slowly cover their eyes with one hand and scoop up with the other (always supporting their weight- mine is a quite big for a lion head!) . Any good vet I've seen does this with my Rabbit and she hates being picked up, this causes her very little distress. I don't tend to pick her up and less I have to- so to be fair she does associate it with things she doesn't like (Nail clipping, trips to the vet, putting her to bed!)

everybody is very right, however it will take time. i have two buns one is very good will be picked up etc, the other bowe is fine with us touching her all over, under stomach, round mouth, round bum, everywhere but the minute we lift her of the ground or try and clip her nails she freaks like crazy. bowe is very very good with us she took while to even be able to stroke her and we've really worked on her, taking very slow steps, even though we've had her from 6 months old. slowly we're trying to get her used to being picked up but some buns are just more nervous or i think aware than others. bowe is incredible curious way more curious than benji and much cleverer and I think this is why she is so scared of being picked up because she can understand and remember being picked up more than benji. It'll take work but I think slowly we'll get there with her. bunnys take time don't be disheartened with slow progress

Back