• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

opinions, advice, shout out needed re next steps for finding neville a wife

Jesselle

Mama Doe
hi all,

believe it or not, i am stumped at finding a 2-4 year old single doe to pair with neville. i've tried many rescues, within a 60 mile radius of st albans (and i don't drive!) and most are too young (maximum of a year age gap ideally) or already bonded.

i am on a tight schedule (pregnant) and would like neville to find a wife ASAP. my preference is to have help from a rescue with bonding, as i'm in no way an expert. at the moment, i have two options, both of which aren't ideal.

1. a bunny from pre-loved .

pros
- timing. owner willing to meet in leicester on 30th aug to hand pepper over for me to take home to st albans
- on paper, she sounds like she has the right personality for neville, who also doesn't fight back and is submissive

cons
- a long way for bunny to travel, part will be done by train
- bonding has to be done by me. scary! anyone keen to help?!

2. a bunny in a rescue about an hour away, called poppy she is apparently actually closer to 3 years of age

pros
- bonding. rescue will help.

cons
- cannot homecheck until the end of september
- do not know poppy's history or nature with other rabbits
- long and expensive travel involved

would i be crazy to give pepper a go? i'd love to wait for poppy and the support of the rescue, but timing is important. any ideas or help appreciated. or if you know of any single does that fit the bill, please let me know!

Last edited:
I don't think you have anything to lose by giving the preloved bunny a chance. The poster of the ad sounds very responsible and they are happy to take her back if things don't work out.

I don't think you have anything to lose by giving the preloved bunny a chance. The poster of the ad sounds very responsible and they are happy to take her back if things don't work out.

thank you. i've since found someone on RU who's offered to help with the intro too. which is making me feel better about giving her a go.

pepper's owner is great and has sent photos of her vacc card, told me about her temperament and history :thumb:

and then i suppose if it didn't work, i could look at poppy as an option.

I'd give the pre-loved bunny a try, especially if the owner is willing to take the bunny back if they don't fall in love! The help of someone from ru who is experienced with bonding will also be really helpful! As you say if it doesn't work out you can also go to the rescue as back up!

I know you've said about the age but if you fall in love with a bunny of a slightly different age why don't you go for it, there's no guarantee how long they'll be here for after all! When I looked for Poppy's husbun I ideally wanted a white lionhead the same size and similar age to her, I ended up with a lion cross some kind of lop twice the size of her and 4 years older because I fell in love with him! and although I know I'll probs have to re bond popster at some point I think a gentle older gentleman that just watches her nutty loopy jakes and ignores her diva ness about food is just what she needed! I guess what I'm trying to say is go for the bun you really like and works!

Iv always followed yours and Neville's stories so I hope it all works out really well :)

Thanks country :) great advice and insight.

I'm going to try and with Pepper if we can arrange getting her down here!

Only just seen this.

Hope Pepper and Neville fall in love. How exciting. Pics pics pics and lots of bonding stories when the time comes (always assuming she can get to you ofcourse).

Only just seen this.

Hope Pepper and Neville fall in love. How exciting. Pics pics pics and lots of bonding stories when the time comes (always assuming she can get to you ofcourse).

we'll be trying with pepper on 31st aug! I really hope it's a good match. pepper is about 2kg, so Neville will having himself a larger lady!! :lol:

I will of course upload pics and the full bonding diary!

we'll be trying with pepper on 31st aug! I really hope it's a good match. pepper is about 2kg, so Neville will having himself a larger lady!! :lol:

I will of course upload pics and the full bonding diary!

Ooo great. I look forward to that. :D

Back