Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used advantage flea treatment on their rabbit?

Default Has anyone used advantage flea treatment on their rabbit?

Found 1 flea on George the other day which panicked me so I asked the vet what I could do and they suggested advantage. We have cats and George loves sniffing and nuzzling the cats so it's impossible to stop him coming into contact with fleas. The cats are done regularly but we never seem to eradicate them completely!

Just wondering what peoples experience of it is?

Wise Old Thumper

I've never had a problem with Advantage. Steer well clear of Xenex though- that's also for fleas but is so well known to cause a wide range of problems.

Are you treating your home, as well as all the animals?
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-O View Post
    I've never had a problem with Advantage. Steer well clear of Xenex though- that's also for fleas but is so well known to cause a wide range of problems.

Are you treating your home, as well as all the animals?
    Yep! Got a household spray and I've got cage and hutch for George's area. Is xenex the one that treats mites as well? They showed me it but said it's generally used as a treatment rather than a preventative. As he didn't have mites I wasn't inclined to go with it.

What kind of problems have you heard of?

Thanks

Wise Old Thumper

It's a pity you can't completely get rid of the fleas on your cats and I wonder if what you are using has become ineffective? What flea and worm treatments do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    It's a pity you can't completely get rid of the fleas on your cats and I wonder if what you are using has become ineffective? What flea and worm treatments do you use?
    We rotate it so they fleas are less likely to become immune but because most of my cats are very outdoorsy, they seem to reappear! As of next week, he won't come into contact with my cats because we will move and the cats will stay at my parents house. It's just treating the problem at present

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by GabyEmilyB View Post
    We rotate it so they fleas are less likely to become immune but because most of my cats are very outdoorsy, they seem to reappear! As of next week, he won't come into contact with my cats because we will move and the cats will stay at my parents house. It's just treating the problem at present
    Frontline has now been shown not to work on many cats. Stuff from petshops is hopeless, it needs to come from the vet. Advocate is extremely good. They also need to be wormed regularly, again from the vet, to break the cycle.

Make sure you tell the vet you have cats and that the rabbit is close to it as there is a rabbit flea treatment that is highly toxic to cats it's the best one for bunnies but not so good if you have cats

I have used the advantage in the last few days on Dumplin and the fleas have literally ran off him

Dumplin my boy sadly missed 21/09/12 - 11/10/14
    Sleep tight my beautiful NoNo and Baby

I've used Advantage several times on Ashley and it's always worked effectively, but we don't have cats so I can't advise on that.
    Mummy to Ashley and Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    Frontline has now been shown not to work on many cats. Stuff from petshops is hopeless, it needs to come from the vet. Advocate is extremely good. They also need to be wormed regularly, again from the vet, to break the cycle.
    Yeah, as I said we rotate stronghold, advocate and advantage. Chose advantage this time because it's safe for bunnies and don't want to cats to harm my bunny under veterinary advice of course!

They said as George has such close proximity to the cats, for the first time use advantage because it is safe for both cats and rabbits...especially with him being young and he enjoys grooming the cats haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmcarey View Post
    Make sure you tell the vet you have cats and that the rabbit is close to it as there is a rabbit flea treatment that is highly toxic to cats it's the best one for bunnies but not so good if you have cats

I have used the advantage in the last few days on Dumplin and the fleas have literally ran off him
    Thanks, yeah they are aware as they are all registered at the same vets

It's so hard because even the vets say there's not much more you can do but treat for fleas and works every 4-6 week. Some cats will always pick them up. It's a lot to do with the area we live in as well I think. We live in the new forest so lots of forest for them to explore!lol