• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone used advantage flea treatment on their rabbit?

GabyEmilyB

Warren Scout
Found 1 flea on George the other day which panicked me so I asked the vet what I could do and they suggested advantage. We have cats and George loves sniffing and nuzzling the cats so it's impossible to stop him coming into contact with fleas. The cats are done regularly but we never seem to eradicate them completely!

Just wondering what peoples experience of it is?

I've never had a problem with Advantage. Steer well clear of Xenex though- that's also for fleas but is so well known to cause a wide range of problems.

Are you treating your home, as well as all the animals?

I've never had a problem with Advantage. Steer well clear of Xenex though- that's also for fleas but is so well known to cause a wide range of problems.

Are you treating your home, as well as all the animals?

Yep! Got a household spray and I've got cage and hutch for George's area. Is xenex the one that treats mites as well? They showed me it but said it's generally used as a treatment rather than a preventative. As he didn't have mites I wasn't inclined to go with it.

What kind of problems have you heard of?

It's a pity you can't completely get rid of the fleas on your cats and I wonder if what you are using has become ineffective? What flea and worm treatments do you use?

It's a pity you can't completely get rid of the fleas on your cats and I wonder if what you are using has become ineffective? What flea and worm treatments do you use?

We rotate it so they fleas are less likely to become immune but because most of my cats are very outdoorsy, they seem to reappear! As of next week, he won't come into contact with my cats because we will move and the cats will stay at my parents house. It's just treating the problem at present :)

We rotate it so they fleas are less likely to become immune but because most of my cats are very outdoorsy, they seem to reappear! As of next week, he won't come into contact with my cats because we will move and the cats will stay at my parents house. It's just treating the problem at present :)

Frontline has now been shown not to work on many cats. Stuff from petshops is hopeless, it needs to come from the vet. Advocate is extremely good. They also need to be wormed regularly, again from the vet, to break the cycle.

Make sure you tell the vet you have cats and that the rabbit is close to it as there is a rabbit flea treatment that is highly toxic to cats it's the best one for bunnies but not so good if you have cats :(

I have used the advantage in the last few days on Dumplin and the fleas have literally ran off him :D

I've used Advantage several times on Ashley and it's always worked effectively, but we don't have cats so I can't advise on that.

Frontline has now been shown not to work on many cats. Stuff from petshops is hopeless, it needs to come from the vet. Advocate is extremely good. They also need to be wormed regularly, again from the vet, to break the cycle.

Yeah, as I said we rotate stronghold, advocate and advantage. Chose advantage this time because it's safe for bunnies and don't want to cats to harm my bunny :) under veterinary advice of course!

They said as George has such close proximity to the cats, for the first time use advantage because it is safe for both cats and rabbits...especially with him being young and he enjoys grooming the cats haha

Make sure you tell the vet you have cats and that the rabbit is close to it as there is a rabbit flea treatment that is highly toxic to cats it's the best one for bunnies but not so good if you have cats :(

I have used the advantage in the last few days on Dumplin and the fleas have literally ran off him :D

Thanks, yeah they are aware as they are all registered at the same vets :)

It's so hard because even the vets say there's not much more you can do but treat for fleas and works every 4-6 week. Some cats will always pick them up. It's a lot to do with the area we live in as well I think. We live in the new forest so lots of forest for them to explore!lol

Thanks, yeah they are aware as they are all registered at the same vets :)

It's so hard because even the vets say there's not much more you can do but treat for fleas and works every 4-6 week. Some cats will always pick them up. It's a lot to do with the area we live in as well I think. We live in the new forest so lots of forest for them to explore!lol

You live in a lovely area then!

I always use advantage for my rabbits and cats but there is a supply problem with advantage 80mg (cats and rabbits 4kg +) at the moment and nowhere will have it until the beginning of September

Back