• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Sweepy..

catherine09

Mama Doe
I had a frantic call from my dad last night saying Sweep was poorly, had a drooped face, couldn't walk properly and not eating. He also had a bad case of nystaligima (sp?) and his eyes were rolling :(

We rushed to emergency vet who thought either EC, stroke or ear infection and kept him in overnight. She had done a X ray and bloods by the time we phoned this morning and he definitely doesn't have an ear infection, so we are looking at EC, but bloods will confirm this.

He has drank for himself and eaten some hay overnight, which is great news. Vet is happy for him to come home when he is eating properly again although he will be coming to stay with me temporarily as we made the hard decision to split him from Hettie last night :( She kept knocking him over and eating all the food we were trying to tempt him with, and was getting stressed at the vets so we ended up taking her home so at least she feels comfortable.

So the plan is for Sweep to stay with me until he is feeling better, and then try and re-bond them so they can live in their playhouse at dads house. Already nervous about the re-bonding as Sweep was a bit of a pickle when the rescue bonded them initially.

I'm shattered today, we didn't end up getting back from the vets til after midnight, had to be up at 6am and couldn't sleep for worrying about him. He was our first bunny and started my love for bunnies so, whilst he doesn't live with me, holds a very special place in my heart :cry::love:

Aaw - I remember Sweep.

Am at Otterbourne working today until 1400. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Am happy to bond them buns if somewhere completely neutral would be easier.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for this gorgeous bun:love:

Thanks everyone. Whilst I know a bunny can recover well from an EC related head tilt, it is still scary and horrible to see :( poor Sweep couldn't sit up without splaying his legs out to try and balance

Karen - thanks so much. I'm not sure what to do about the re-bonding as yet, I did initially think of contacting the rescue who initially bonded them to see if they would have time to try a re-bond, for a donation. They are the rescue I fostered Farore on behalf of for a year too so I know them quite well, so I hope they may be able to help. I may try myself but I just get too nervy :oops:

I'm not going to lie, it's terrible timing too :( I'm in London tpday - Wednesday and am out of the house for 13 hours so couldn't help with any of the nursing and to be honest it's going to mean he has to stay at the vets til Wednesday as I don't like leaving my own buns that long, let alone a poorly bun. We're also going away at the weekend too, but I do have a brilliant lady coming around to feed and medicate everyone twice a day (in actual fact, she is a vet nurse and has lots of rabbits herself and is one of the main AFR people, so she's definitely more capable than me anyway!). Still hard to leave him though and I will be worrying :(:oops:

Sweep remains in hospital and is having to be force fed every 2-3 hours. I'm going down there tonight to go and see him and take a variety of things to tempt him with - he is stable but doesn't seem to be improving :(

I know he is in the best place but it's horrible to think of him all alone and surrounded by strangers force feeding him. I hope he isn't too stressed there :(

Sending loads of vibes for Sweep. I have a bun at the vet just now too, and also hated the thought of her surrounded by strangers. I suppose it is the best for them though so they can get the intensive care they need.

I went to see Sweep tonight in the hospital (after seeing my nanny who is also in human hospital this week, not having a great time :()

His head tilt has got a lot worse sadly, and the nurse was saying they haven't seen him eat for himself and have been syringe feeding him

However I had taken all sorts of yummies and as soon as I got the fresh herbs and freshly picked grass out his head pricked up and he then ate the big grass and herbs pile continuously until I got kicked out 40 minutes later :love: I've asked the staff to keep picking him grass. He also are a pellet and tried to nibble a fenugreek buy I think these were a bit too hard and too much work at the minute.

Some photos (these may be upsetting)

D98813A4-4C38-4B00-8028-37F5A3CEAFF7_zpslnbeuq1p.jpg

2D599F32-00D9-4FF4-A52D-314DB367730C_zpsffqdvwgq.jpg

D98813A4-4C38-4B00-8028-37F5A3CEAFF7_zpslnbeuq1p.jpg

:cry:.. Aww bless him... Millions of get well vibes being sent for a speedy recovery xxxxxxxxxx

EC related head tilt usually gets worse before getting better - and often relapses. Eating yummy feeds himself is a very very good sign. They find pellets very hard going (and also syringe feeding) as the mouth and teeth and tongue are not working right. Also I belive that the sense of smell often goes slightly awry. But they tend to start eating on the most natural diet again.

I have had an outbreak of EC here in the last 6 months with several buns going down with it. However all but one made a good recovery (and hers was they think a new 'strain' as the central nervous sytem gradually shut down bit by bit - it was very sad) - Recovery can be slow - it can take months to be back to 'normal' and they may be off kilter slightly for the rest of their lives - but his is by no means the worst I have seen and the eating so soon is an excellent sign.

Back