• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spay went wrong

Hi everyone,this is my first post on the forum. I have 2 dwarf lops, frank and betty. I took them both to be neutered at the vets last thursday. The vet explained the risk of anesthetic to me but she didnt explain the risk of the wound opening. We have been monitering them carefully and were shocked yesterday to see that Bettys wound had completely opened up. It was sunday so we took her to the emergency vet (another vet) to have corrective surgery. We are facing a bill of £550. My question is, will the vet accept full or at least part responsibilty for this.? I love my buns and just wanted to do the right and responsible thing and have them neutered so they can live as a pair, but I never realised that such a routine operation could go so horribly and expensively wrong. I signed a disclaimer of course, so I suspect my vet won't help at all with the costs. I had a rabbit spayed once before and I remember the vet stitched internally and used glue and mesh externally, wheras this vet just stitched externally and betty must have pulled them out . thankfully, the emergency vet has just called and she is recovering well, I just feel upset at the unexpected cost.

I don't have much experience with this but didn't want to read and run.

I think it would depend on whether the emergency vet was part of your vet's practice or not. My emergency vet is run by an agency and charges separate fees to my vet. I would imagine that if you take your rabbit to see your vet today/this week, any treatment there should be covered by your operation fees (at least this is what happens at my vet) but I don't think your vet is likely to cough up for your emergency vet fees sadly :cry:. It may be worth discussing with them and saying that you were unaware of the risks with the stiches (although they will probably say that these things can happen, which they can).

I'm sorry if this post is not very helpful, hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry it's in such unfortunate circumstances.

I wonder if your best bet is speaking to the practice manager in the first instance and seeing what they say, before you say anything, if that makes sense. It's tricky that she ended up having the op done elsewhere, so they can't absorb the charge for it within their practice, but it's worth asking if they would foot the bill. If they're not open on a Sunday you had no choice but to go elsewhere.

Also, if they're adamant they won't pay, it may be worth offering to compromise eg they give you credit for the amount of the bill on your account and you use it in future to pay for vaccinations/treatment etc. That way they spread the cost of repaying you and you get 'free' vet bills for the foreseeable future (you may have other pets registered there too who could also benefit). It doesn't help in terms of finding such a big sum all at once, but is better than nothing.

If they didn't give back up painkiller for you to give at home then they were negligent - that's a different issue and I'd be more assertive that they should pay the bill. ETA Also the fact the second vet used a different/better technique suggests first was less competent.

It's also worth asking if their insurance covers it - would think they must have something in place.

Hope that's helpful. :wave:

Last edited:
I don't know how to help with the payment problem but perhaps just ask the vet (if you are sure they didn't) why they did not use internal stitches?

I think that its generally common practice now to use internal stitches on a bunny? Mine both had internal stitches?

I asked my vet about the procedure before it happened, so I knew what was happening to mine. Its not always the first thing we think of because we assume our vets know ''everything'' but sadly that's not the case a lot of the time.

I'm just saying if it were me I would want to know why they didn't?

Hope you get sorted out!

thanks

Thanks for your replies . Betty is home now and eating,pooping well. I asked the second vet if the first vet had used external sutures,she said she couldn't find it on the notes but that if she had used internal ones,it would be very unlikely that betty would have pulled them out. You're right, I just trusted the vet to know what she was doing. I've sent the surgery an email asking if they would be willing to cover the costs as I dont feel this would have happened if they they had used the correct procedure (or at least advised me better on what to expect) they haven't replied yet . I'm not very good at face to face confrontation so am worried I'll have to go into the surgery and ask to speak to the manager.

Thanks for your replies . Betty is home now and eating,pooping well. I asked the second vet if the first vet had used external sutures,she said she couldn't find it on the notes but that if she had used internal ones,it would be very unlikely that betty would have pulled them out. You're right, I just trusted the vet to know what she was doing. I've sent the surgery an email asking if they would be willing to cover the costs as I dont feel this would have happened if they they had used the correct procedure (or at least advised me better on what to expect) they haven't replied yet . I'm not very good at face to face confrontation so am worried I'll have to go into the surgery and ask to speak to the manager.

If you don't want to do it face to face then call up and ask to speak to the practice manager. I know when I complained I got a phone call from them.

Write everything down what you want to say so you are ready to put your case forward.

Good luck.

I haven't had a reply from the vet,I also rang at lunchtime and they said the manager would call me-he hasn't. Betty is now in pain,she's chattering her teeth and sitting hunched in a corner. I've called the surgery a second time and asked how much metacam it is safe to give her, I was again promised a call from the vet and they haven't rang me(they closed at 6) I'm disgusted with them , poor little betty is suffering! Does anyone know how high a dosage of cat metacam I can give to her? Its 0.5 and I've been told to give her 1.3ml once a day. Thank u in advance

I haven't had a reply from the vet,I also rang at lunchtime and they said the manager would call me-he hasn't. Betty is now in pain,she's chattering her teeth and sitting hunched in a corner. I've called the surgery a second time and asked how much metacam it is safe to give her, I was again promised a call from the vet and they haven't rang me(they closed at 6) I'm disgusted with them , poor little betty is suffering! Does anyone know how high a dosage of cat metacam I can give to her? Its 0.5 and I've been told to give her 1.3ml once a day. Thank u in advance

How much does she weigh ? Dose rate is calculated according to weight and the dose range is usually 0.3mg-0.6mg/kg/day. Using the Cat Metacam this would equate to 0.6ml-1.2ml/kg/day

Is she eating/drinking/pooing and weeing ?

So sorry this has happened to you :cry: can you ring the vet who fixed her & ask what they advise re dosage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your kind words. she weighs 1.6kg.she is eating grass and cabbage,won't touch her pellets. She doesnt seem to be drinking but has eaten a lot of fresh greens so hopefully that will compensate? She is weeing and pooing but can't see to make it to her litter tray . I've got her in an adapted babygro so she can't get to her wound and her cage is lined with towels which I'm changing everytime she wees! I'm worried that shes getting really stressed as im now having to give her metacam,an antibiotic,and an appetite stimulant 3 times a day,shes so fed up of me squirting stuff in her mouth! She doesnt seem to be in quite so much pain at the moment,she's just trying to get the babygro off.

I've no additional advice to offer than that already given.

I hope Betty feels better soon. She is very cute :love:

It may be worth you posting in Rabbit Chat as to who might know of a bunny savvy vet in your area for future reference.

So sorry to hear what happened with Betty -

after you have sorted things out a bit I would really recommend lining up a good rabbit vet fr future for both routine and emergencies.

If you post a thread in rabbit chat or rabbits health with a title like 'looking for good rabbit vet near XXXX' you should get some. Some vets are actually totally useless with rabbits - they do very very little training unless they have a special interest.

Back