• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing rescue bunnies to their new home

Wasn't sure of to post this in housing or behaviour, but here goes:

We are adopting two bunnies next weekend, two brothers, 8 months old. They were from a litter of 5 but the 2 boys have been together since they were separated from their sisters pre neutering and have stayed together on their own since. They are in a usual rescue sized hutch with access to a pen for exercise time, not sure how often that is, I will ask. However, when they come to us they are going to be indoor bunnies in a room 8ft x 8ft to themselves and access to the rest of the flat when we are home.

What I would like advice on is when we bring them home should we house them in a similar size environment to what they have been used to since they were born and gradually increase their space? I wonder if putting them in a big space and new environment will be a bit overwhelming for them?

We have a 6ft indoor cage we could put them in until they settle if this would be the best thing to do, but as I am unsure I would appreciate the advice of those who have experience with this.

If I were you I'd just give them access to their room to begin with and introduce the rest of the house when they've settled down a bit and learnt where the litter trays are! :lol:

When I got M&M in January I just opened the carrier and let them come out themselves. They sniffed everywhere but then just flopped after about 15 minutes and that was that really! I just gave them access to the front room to begin with and let them explore the landing etc after a few days.

Yes, I'd let them out in the room, but keep them just in that area until they've settled before introducing the rest of the house. You probably find there litter training will lapse a bit initially anyway so you want them to get back in the swing before letting them lose everywhere :lol:

Making sure they have lots of cover is a good idea though, so if there isn't lots to hide in in the room, you could pop the cage in with the door open and then pop a bit of cardboard on top - that will give them a nice sheltered feeling area to use as a base. Big cardboard boxes work too :)

Back