• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has "Vetcare Plus Urinary Tract Health Formula" Changed Ingredients?

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Hiya :)

Smudge has been eating Vetcare Plus Urinary Tract Health Formula for a while now. We bought a new box this week and for some strange reason she has turned her nose up at it! :( She is not off her food because she will happily eat her old version of this food and anything else we give her. It's just this new box she doesn't like.

So we had a look at the food itself and the box and noticed some odd things.

Here is a picture of the actual food, the New Food looks slightly more compact. We also think there is less of a food smell to the New Food:
IMG_20140816_104630916_zps665b9df5.jpg

Here is the front of the box, which is slightly different:
IMG_20140816_104659541_zpsbd68f863.jpg

Here are the ingredient list from the actual box (Old Food has a GB ingredient list and New Food has a USA ingredient list):
IMG_20140816_104724867_zpsedf057aa.jpg
IMG_20140816_104738220_zps49959733.jpg

On the New Food box they have stuck this on the side with a GB ingredients list. It actually differs slightly to the USA listing on the other side of the very same box:
IMG_20140816_104752699_zps5b9e3943.jpg

What is also interesting is the barcode on the Old Food box and the barcode on the STICKER of the New Food box are the same. But underneath the sticker you can see the actual barcode is different. This sounds like it could actually be a different stock item?

Our conclusion is that this is an American version of the food, where we used to get a UK version. For some bizarre reason the bunnies don't like it! What do you think?? We are going to speak to the company we bought it from too.

This happened with Fibafirst guinea pig, back when I was using it. It suddenly came in smaller more uniform looking sticks which didn't seem so popular, so I ended up swapping to the guinea pig Supreme Vetcare Plus.

My guess is that the ingredients don't change, but something about how they are made, to make them less crumbly.

Well I've just had a realisation lol... we are lazy and don't throw old boxes away and I just found an old box that looks just like this new one. So she HAS had the food before!

I think she is just being a picky madam. She will actually eat it now, she was almost acting as if we were trying to sneak medicine into her food. She also looks like she thinks we're taking her to the vet, poor bun! :(

Oh glad you've solved the mystery. I was just on the point of studying the list of ingredients myself :lol::wave:

Back