• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

male and female

I have recently decided to let my unneutered male and female get close to eachother (he is in the cage and she is on the outside) they are not constantly like this just to clarify. recently, whenever we get out male out, his name is hamish, she just wont settle in her cage. She runs about and goes mad in her cage. is this because she is annoyed that she isnt out running about or she wants to be with him?

additionally, whenever i have held hamish then go to hold her, she always licks me obsessively. Is this because she can smell hamish on me? THANK YOU:D

It's not good to allow her to go mad in her cage so I wouldn't let it happen. What is the reason for letting them get closer? It is better not to let one rabbit go up to another rabbit's cage as the one in the cage feels trapped.

I feel you are judging. This is a place of non judgement i thought? and people are able to ask as many questions as they want and not be judge on things that they do.

If you are trying to do everything correctly then you shouldn't feel "judged". Until your rabbits are neutered it is best to keep them separate and calmer. How old are they?

She is probably feeling defensive of her territory. Does are especially territorial.

Unspayed does and un-neutered bucks will be hormonal and driven by the need to mate which will include extra levels of territorial behaviour.

Ideally you would have them both done and give their hormones a few weeks (up to six weeks) to settle before introducing them in a neutral space. This may sound like a long time apart for them but it is better in the long run as un neutered/unspayed rabbits are very difficult to bond.

I hope you manage to find a way to interact with them so that they can both have time with you but dont have to get wound up by each others presence.

Also rabbits need loads of space (apologies if you already know this. Pet shops and many breeders dont always promote this idea so many people are unaware). The RAWF recommends a 6 x 2 hutch permanently attached to an 8 X 4 run. They are most lively at dawn and dusk and like to move a lot at night as well. There arent any cages that are suitable to shut rabbits in for more than a couple of hours. Lack of space can also cause territorial agressive behaviour. Not saying that she is lacking in space as I dont know what your set up is.

Hope you manage to sort something out. Pictures of your rabbits would be nice!

Back