• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female rabbit has started behaving agressively since introduced to baby male

Hi,
I have a 2 year old female rabbit that i've had since she was 8 weeks old. She is spayed and is very sweet and gentle.
2 days ago we decided to get a 8 week old male rabbit as a friend (we are planning to neuter him as soon as possible and then try bonding them)
The first day we kept them seperate Poe (male) was in my room whilst Peri (female) stays in my sisters room however as my room is way too small and cramped my dad said we had to move Poe into my sisters room with Peri.
We moved Poe's cage besides Peri's but far enough that she couldn't reach him.
Peri seemed to be afraid and wouldn't come near anyone from my family, she basically hid in one of her cardboard box and was very tense.
She is allowed to be freely roam in the room so we let her out thinking Poe would be safe inside his cage but we saw approach Poe's cage and try to bite his face and nose.
We then moved Poe's cage but since there is nowhere else for the cage to go, we put it on top of Peri's knowing she wouldn't be able to reach it.
Although Peri has since calmed down and was sort of returning back to her usual self (she was licking my sister and relaxing), we have noticed that she tries to charge at us sometimes for now apparent reason.
This new behaviour is really startling to me and makes me upset-she never behaved aggresively to use before that.
I think she may be behaving like this because she although she can't see Poe, she can still smell and hear him so she's still acting territorial.
My questions are:
Why is she directing all the agresssion out on us all of a sudden?
What should i do about Poe? As he seems to be the reason she is wound up
Do i have to move him out of the room? (this doesn't seem to really be an option)
Or will Peri eventually get used to him being in the room?

Any help in this would be useful, this situation with her and Poe is really stressfull and upsetting

They would be better being separated until little Poe can be neutered. It sounds like Peri is scared still, and will charge at whatever is moving without waiting to work out who it is.

The best case would be to move Poe out of the room until he is neutered and they can be bonded. Not much help I know.

The problem is it is Peri's territory and has been for 2 years. It sounds like a type of referred aggression so this I why she is attacking you as she can't get to the other rabbit to attack him.

Are you sure you have enough space for 2 rabbits and where are you going to bond them. It will have to be on neutral territory, somewhere Peri has never been.

You would have been better taking Peri to a Rescue where they would have tried bonding her with an already neutered male so she would have been away from her own territory.

To be honest Peri sounds as if she was happy as she was and I usually hate seeing just 1 rabbit on its own but I think you are going to have problems getting her to accept another bunny.

It would be best if he could be in another space. Failing that you could put a barrier up so that they cant see each other and use some kind of rabbit friendly essential oil on the top of the run so that they cant smell each other.

Do they both have 24/7 access to a run? This is especially important in the very early morning (dawn) and at night (dusk onwards) as that is when rabbits tend to be at their most lively.

Hope you manage to sort it out and that Peri is able to relax again.

sorry for the REALLY late reply.
We did thankfully manage to get them eventually bonded.
We, at first did take Poe out of the room and although Peri calmed down a little, she still behaved slightly territorial. So we seperated them and gradually introduced Poe's scent to her through blankets and toys that he used.
Eventually, she calmed down enough that we put him back on the opposite end of the room, as far away from her possible but enough that she could still see him.
We restricted her space as we realised that was what was making her aggressive.
After we neutered him and a couple of weeks later we introduced them in a neutral area and in two weeks they were bonded.
I wanted to thank everyone for their advice. Sorry if i wrote too much but if this helps anyone in a similar situation then it would be good

Back