• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel Herbage Timothy Hay any good and main diet?

Currant_Bun

Young Bun
Hi all, just spotted this at P@h for a good price, I was using Oxbow Western Timothy hay before but is this brand a good alternative along with pellets and fresh veg treats? Thanks:)

I don't know what the quality is like, I found the small packs from pet shops very overpriced, and I now buy baled hay from an agricultural merchants that's meant for horses, it's much cheaper and the buns eat much more of it than they ever did of any other kind :thumb:

It's not my buns' favourite hay but they seem to like it okay.

It is quite expensive but looks like good quality (they get lovely big golden poos from it as well!)

I used to try and give it to Ferg when he wasn't a good hay eater (very fussy with hay!) because I thought it must be ok as it's excel but he hated it, and I hated that I'd just spent a fiver on it! :) I've never tried oxbow but peoples buns seem to love it so if it's the same price or cheaper id probably stick with that (if they eat it!). Farm baked hay or even just massive bags from a decent pet shop work out a lot cheaper :)

If it's on offer maybe it's worth a go seeing if they like it and maybe give it them as a something different hay but I definitely wouldn't spend that much on a teeny bag ever again :)

I'm sure most rabbits will eat it, Fergies opinion on hay is never very trustworthy as I've only found one he'll eat in a year and a half and about 50 shops :)

Well, I got some in earlier and... he most LOVE it because he ate a big bun sized lump in about an hour lol, he normally nibbles his hay through the day. Seems fresher then the oxbow and it's been chopped into short bits, I guess this helps to pack it tighter without crushing it? Any, as long as it's good enough as his only hay, thats all I bothered about:):thumb:

Have you tried Equine suppliers locally... thats where i get my hay from. They save all the green hay for my bunnies, the horses get more yellow stuff.. They, bless them, know my two are fussy!!!

Back