Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are golden poos good?

Default Why are golden poos good?

I know people seem to aim for them but I was looking at a load of wild rabbit poo the other day and they are small and black and surely wild rabbits have the 'perfect' diet

Isn't that the difference between hay and grass eaters?

Quote Originally Posted by tashp90 View Post
    Isn't that the difference between hay and grass eaters?
    Ah maybe and I suppose there arent many domestic rabbits who have a diet of mostly grass

Kerbie will only really eat readigrass and his poops are an okay size but very dark on the outside, normal poop colour on the inside!

Personally I care more about the size as if any of mine are off I can tell due to poos getting smaller as the colour of their poops change with what hay they eat more of.
    If they eat more meadow hay they are big and golden, if it's more timothy hay then they are big and kind of caramel in colour, again they are 'normal' colour and crumbly on the inside.

(I open poops up occasionally to see inside )

When my quad were pairs in moveable runs on the grass (before I knew you should mesh the bottom and relay the turf) their poos were much smaller and really dark. Now they are big round and golden, as their new run is mesh and then playbark so they don't get so much in the way of grass. I wouldn't believe the difference if I hadn't seen it for myself. In fact the size of them still surprises me, as they are only little buns.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Sorry I know I shouldn't rant but the whole golden poos thing really irritates me!

The poos are only golden if the bunny eats a certain kind of hay as you've all said. If they eat greener hay or grass then the poos are darker.

I do get quite annoyed when people talk about golden poos as though they're better than darker ones as it doesn't mean anything and obviously worries some newer members to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Aly&Poppy<3 View Post
    Kerbie will only really eat readigrass and his poops are an okay size but very dark on the outside, normal poop colour on the inside!

Personally I care more about the size as if any of mine are off I can tell due to poos getting smaller as the colour of their poops change with what hay they eat more of.
    If they eat more meadow hay they are big and golden, if it's more timothy hay then they are big and kind of caramel in colour, again they are 'normal' colour and crumbly on the inside.

(I open poops up occasionally to see inside )

I thought I was the only one I squash them quite often to check if they are dry and crumbly

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

My rabbits Do golden poops as well as the darker one! This is mainly because they are out free ranging in the garden all day everyday so they eat mainly grass/herbs/plants However if it's a rainy day they are usually just having normal things such a hay and forage as well as their treats and pellets
    Last edited by Nadpets101; 11-08-2014 at 09:49 PM.

My bunny poops and big and dark with flecks of gold... They eat a huge amount of hay but also like atimothy Hay and readigrass!!!

As long as poops are big and healthy, i have no worries,,,,

Fee xx
    Floppy, Smudge, Bramble, Willow, Chewy, Obi
    ❤️💙💜💚❤️💛💔

Quote Originally Posted by weeble View Post
    Ah maybe and I suppose there arent many domestic rabbits who have a diet of mostly grass
    Mine do!
    And yep poos do vary depending on if they've eaten more hay or more grass that day