• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drying forage

Unconformity

Warren Scout
My bunny loves raspberry leaves but it is coming to the end of the season now so they won't be available much longer. Is there a way to dry forage so he can still have his favourite treat out of season? :)

I dry forage by just spreading it out on newspaper or similar, and leaving it somewhere warm and dry for a few days.

Things can be dried outside if you get some nice sunny weather, or in a very slow oven.

Once they are dried, store in a paper bag, cardboard box or similar not in plastic.

with raspberries I would leave the leaves on to dry themselves naturally - and take them off as they dry and change colour in Autumn - if you take off a lot of leaves now you will harm the raspberry plants and they may not do as well next year.

Especially this year when many plants are struggling due to the dry spell - raspberries especially like it cool and moist.

Thanks for the tip :). The canes that produced fruit this year are already turning. I assumed I should leave the yellowing leaves so I'll try drying them instead.

You can also feed the canes (stalks) themselves when you cut them back at the end of the year. I dry them out and use a chew sticks :)

I dry most of my green age on top of my boiler in the airing cupboard it only works really for leave and thin slices of fruit and take 1 day then I store it all in a plastic box.

and my buns love raspberry canes aswell.

with the canes though if you dry them take any leaves off first and dry them separately or you get a crunch mess every where.

I've been surprised how easy it has prooved to find and dry forage! Took the girls out with a list of rabbit safe plants and a book on wildflowers and came back with a bag full. Resisting giving the forage to the rabbit is the hard part though!

Back