• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage ID help

SJH

Warren Veteran
Parsnipbun kindly sent me some Rosebay willow herb - it's been eaten now so I can't compare but I think it was this -

Edit - Parsnipbun points out this is GREAT WILLOW HERB but definitely bunny safe and nommy!! :)

Any confirmations greatly received. It was undoubtedly tasty!!

Last edited:
That actually great willow herb - Rosebay looks slightly different - less fuzzy leaves and different flowers when you look in detail.

I think I did say it was great willow herb I sent - not rosebay willowherb. Apologies if I didnt specify

However they are BOTH edible! So really from the rabbits point of view there is little difference!

PS the asterisks are the nomminess rating!

This is an excerpt from the text of the new RWAF forage book - (which will have images when published)

Willow-herb (Great and Rosebay) (Rosebay is also known as Fireweed)
(Epilobium hirsutum and Epilobium angustifolium or Chamerion angustifolium)
Tallest of these perennial natives is the Great Willow-herb. Up to 1.5m tall, softly hairy over stems and leaves, lanceolate leaves in opposing pairs, with small leaflets at stalk. Leaves often go red after flowering. Flowers purplish pink 15-20mm, four petals and white centre. Easy to find in hedgerows and on verges and wasteland and allotments. Likes richer soils. Seeds are fluffy and white. Rosebay Willow-herb (sometimes allocated to a different genera) is smaller and less hairy with its more pointed leaves in whorls around the stem rather than in pairs, and flowers at end of a long spike rather than scattered over plant as with the Greater Willow-herb. Known as Fireweed as it colonises bare areas, such as railway embankments where fire was a common occurrence. Rosebay Willow-herb is rich in Vitamins A and C. Great Willow-herb was traditionally used for kidney and bladder complaints. Both flower in late spring/autumn and are good forage plants. When growing near hedges they may have Hedge Bindweed growing up them which makes them an interesting double snack! Dries well.
****/*** depending on rabbit!

Last edited:
Thank you very much! It's such a minefield learning about these things so it's great to have someone who knows what they are talking about to help!

It does indeed dry well and is apparently nommy!! I'm looking to get my act together for winter so this will help enormously. :)

Great willowherb, I was unfamiliar. We only have rosebay at home. I hadn't noticed the hairy leaves!

I know - Rosebay is much more prevelant in some places/countries. The Great Willow herb is the original English/UK one - the Rosebay in technically a non native.

I found some Rosebay willow herb today! :D Thank you for sharing, it's great to find another new forage plant. I've must have walked past it so many times as I got it an area I forage in often. the bunnies ate it in about ten seconds flat! :lol:

I found some Rosebay willow herb today! :D Thank you for sharing, it's great to find another new forage plant. I've must have walked past it so many times as I got it an area I forage in often. the bunnies ate it in about ten seconds flat! :lol:

Great news!!

Parsnipbun corrected me - it's actually great willow herb but totally nommy!!

I'm not sure which willow herb I've got (the photos I Googled look the same to me :oops:), but it's great to be able to add another plant I can just about recognise to the forage list :D

Back