• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

op to drain nasal passages - snuffles

weedug

Mama Doe
Honey has been sneezing for years (she will be 5 soon), sometimes worse than others. She has had antibiotics, injections, metacam, bisolvon, echinacea, and nebulised with F10. Swabs have always shown pasturella and sometimes bordetella. Before I adopted her at about 6 months old, she was treated for an abscess on her back for months because it wouldn't heal. She has also had recent sudden, severe spells of not eating, being cold, unresponsive etc.

She recently had an x-ray, then a ct scan at D1ck vet school. Ct showed a huge amount of pus in her nasal cavity, and part of the inside of her nose has been eaten away by the infection. There is nothing they can do about this. Her teeth and tooth roots are fine.

She is due an op next Wednesday where they want to open her nasal passage (one side only), scoop out all the pus to send off for testing, and insert a drain. Because it has been there for so long, they don't want to try other medicines first.

Has anyone else had this done for their bun?

Also, should my usual vet not have realised that this was having such an effect on her? If untreated, I assume the infection will continue to cause damage? There is already quite a lot.

matt had his nose drained twice. it really helped to get a head start on the amount of mucus. it was all pooled at the back of his nose and the bone there was very inflammed aswell. it really helped him but he did need it twice as he produced so much. once it was drained, the nebulising and meds seemed to work even better as they had less to work through. of course he still had damage and still needed twice daily nebulising and metacam, all that stuff, but he was more comfortable and alot more stable afterwards. :wave:

Thank you so much for the replies. Did Matt have a cannula left in for a while after the op?

I really hope it helps Honey because I'm sure the not eating is connected.

Thank you so much for the replies. Did Matt have a cannula left in for a while after the op?

I really hope it helps Honey because I'm sure the not eating is connected.

i'm not sure whilst he was there at the vets, but he didn't have anything when he came home. it's a good time for them to beable to check the back of the nose properly aswell as that whole area - throat, tear ducts etc. x

i'm not sure whilst he was there at the vets, but he didn't have anything when he came home. it's a good time for them to beable to check the back of the nose properly aswell as that whole area - throat, tear ducts etc. x

Thanks again for the replies.

Honey will have a cannula in for a while after the operation. They are going to drill a hole in her sinus for the op, and leave the cannula in for me to flush with something. The vet said it could be in for weeks or months :?.

Her tear ducts have needed clearing twice now, 2 weeks apart, because the infection is in the right one now.

Sounds awful but it will hopefully make her feel better. My chinchillas have had tear duct flushes and they have made a great difference, considering one of them had badly scarred and blocked year ducts. Its so complicated with our little furry friends.

Thanks again for the replies.

Honey will have a cannula in for a while after the operation. They are going to drill a hole in her sinus for the op, and leave the cannula in for me to flush with something. The vet said it could be in for weeks or months :?.

Her tear ducts have needed clearing twice now, 2 weeks apart, because the infection is in the right one now.

i've never heard of that so can't advise, but i would think nebulising would essential be doing the same thing with flushing it through? if you're looking to try something new first, then parvolex is excellent. there was a manufacturing problem with it for a while so i'm not sure if it's back still, but if it is, it's definitely worth trying. matt was on parvolex and saline, and then when he had worse episodes, we would add gentimicin to it aswell for a week. you can add that week on week off to start with, which we did, and then over time he went to two weeks, then four, which was amazing after everything that had been tried. alongside metacam this worked so well. nebulised twice a day for 20-25mins when stable, then as soon as he started to have a worst episode, i would straight away increase to 30mins and order his genticin. once that arrived, he did 30mins twice a day for the week, and that was enough to bring him back to stable again on just the saline and parvolex.

i have to say though - starting nebulising was one of the best things we did, but it took a while to get under control and i think part of the reason we did was because of the nose drainings. so it's a tricky one.

x

i've never heard of that so can't advise, but i would think nebulising would essential be doing the same thing with flushing it through? if you're looking to try something new first, then parvolex is excellent. there was a manufacturing problem with it for a while so i'm not sure if it's back still, but if it is, it's definitely worth trying. matt was on parvolex and saline, and then when he had worse episodes, we would add gentimicin to it aswell for a week. you can add that week on week off to start with, which we did, and then over time he went to two weeks, then four, which was amazing after everything that had been tried. alongside metacam this worked so well. nebulised twice a day for 20-25mins when stable, then as soon as he started to have a worst episode, i would straight away increase to 30mins and order his genticin. once that arrived, he did 30mins twice a day for the week, and that was enough to bring him back to stable again on just the saline and parvolex.

i have to say though - starting nebulising was one of the best things we did, but it took a while to get under control and i think part of the reason we did was because of the nose drainings. so it's a tricky one.

x

Thanks for sharing Matt's treatment. I'm just worried about the op :oops:. I have another little bun who has a massive tumour and is on borrowed time, and now this :(.

They had said before the ct that if there was no damage in her nose, they could look at other treatments, but there is a lot of damage in one nasal passage. There is a whole part that has been eaten away :(. I assume she must have been living in terrible pain :(.

Thanks for sharing Matt's treatment. I'm just worried about the op :oops:. I have another little bun who has a massive tumour and is on borrowed time, and now this :(.

They had said before the ct that if there was no damage in her nose, they could look at other treatments, but there is a lot of damage in one nasal passage. There is a whole part that has been eaten away :(. I assume she must have been living in terrible pain :(.

sorry, i meant to reply to this. sorry you're going through two poorly buns. :(

bisc has alot of scar tissue damage in his nose and the vet mentioned an op so it might be the same one. i can't remember the details as it was so long ago now.

matts nose was very inflammed at the back and worn away. it's a horrible thought isn't it? :(

anyway, lots of love for your girl. :love: x and for you aswell because i know how worrying it can be. x

Back