• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed: Lots of night poops

Tyrions_Mum

New Kit
Hi all :wave:

My 8 week old bunny Tyrion has been with us for 4 days now. This morning I noticed quite a few night poops (cecotropes) in his cage which he did not eat about 6-7 pieces.

We're feeding him a mixture of his changeover feed (hey, pellets and other veg bits I can't really identify!)from the breeder and some pellets we're going to wean him onto, he get a handful of this twice a day. He has fresh hey in his hey rack which we replenish in the morning and evening.

Do you think we're over feeding him with the dried food? Or am I just being paranoid? We haven't given him any fresh veg yet as I'm so scared of giving him a tummy upset and wanted to get his main food completely switched first.

Any advice would be great.

x

Could be the change in his diet. Perhaps you are changing his food too quickly? It could just be the stress of being separated from his sibling and parents etc. I would keep a close eye on him and make sure he looks happy and healthy and is producing lots of large, golden poos as well as the excess cecals. Sometimes it takes a while for their tums to settle down after such a big upheaval in their lives.

Could be the change in his diet. Perhaps you are changing his food too quickly? It could just be the stress of being separated from his sibling and parents etc. I would keep a close eye on him and make sure he looks happy and healthy and is producing lots of large, golden poos as well as the excess cecals. Sometimes it takes a while for their tums to settle down after such a big upheaval in their lives.

Thanks Vegan_Bunny,

Think my mind is more at ease now. His drier poops are fine, so I'll just keep an eye on him over the next couple weeks to see if things calm down.

x

I know when I got Doughnut I was told to feed unlimited and she was 8 weeks but there were night poops everywhere. I gradually cut back and and she ate more hay and they disappeared, so it could be you are giving too much. I also didn't feed her veg until she was a bit older.

I know when I got Doughnut I was told to feed unlimited and she was 8 weeks but there were night poops everywhere. I gradually cut back and and she ate more hay and they disappeared, so it could be you are giving too much. I also didn't feed her veg until she was a bit older.

Thanks cpayne,
I think we'll try to reduce his food a bit. I've done a bit of reading around and that definitely seems to help.

Hopefully that will stop his diva moods in the morning as he wont respond to either me or my fiancé until we clean up his unwanted poop!:lol:

Update: yesterday evening I made sure Tyrion only had a spoonful of his mixed food and refilled his hey rack to near overflowing. This morning... No leftover night poops! Yay!! 👏😊

:thumb: Good news. I'd probably let him settle for a bit before starting the change from mix to pellets. Hay is always the answer to these things! :lol:

Worth mentioning the poos won't necessarily be golden to be healthy- that depends on the type of hay/grass that you're feeding. Some greener and darker hays/grasses give dark poos :wave:

Back